• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.40 Minie Design

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If you were to design a .40 caliber minie for GM rifling and their standard 48" twist what would you make it look like?

I have a friend who shoots .40 175 gr pistol bullets patched with butter paper out of his GM barrel, He gets 1 1 /2" groups at 50 yards and has killed a bunch of deer with that load.

I would not make a hollow base bullet. I would look at the Maxi Ball design. Just get a good fit.

My friend says there is a layer of plastic on butter paper that needs to be pulled off but comes of easily. I am not sure exactly what caliber pistol bullets he is using but have a few in my shop I can measure. It is raining right now and I don't want to walk to the shop but will check later.

I would not make a hollow base bullet. I would look at the Maxi Ball design. Just get a good fit.

Agreed. GM rifling is deep compared to that of rifles intended for shooting minies.

"Twas me seeking proper diameter I'd use a modern pistol bullet and "cheap out" by buying a .395" or so collet and punch for my RCBS Lubrisizer. I doubt there'd be any penalty in a muzzleloader for "over-squishing" a 40 cal bullet passing through it.

Butter paper is kinda like butcher paper. Usually white (that's all I've seen) That's what is used to wrap bulk butter in (the few places that still make and or sell it in bulk).

I'm thinking that for a .40 caliber minie to fit GM rifling something about like the Ideal #386378 but with a little more pointy nose would work well.
The two GM forties I've worked with both have had .403 bore diameters.

Here's a drawing of a 40 cal REAL bullet
40 cal real.jpg

I've used various .41 caliber bullets sized to make the rear end fit the bore and the front end engrave on the rifling. The GM barrels 48" twist was too slow to give consistent results. That's because of needing inertia to get the flat base to expand. More inertia means longer bullet and longer needs faster twist. I'd have a group forming up at fifty yards but then see tippers making slightly oval holes in the target. Hence the interest in a hollow base, in other words a minie not a maxie or REAL.

About the technique developed to size bullets on the rear and leave the front large...
I do that to shoot various .41 caliber molds in my .41 caliber 1858 Remington. I size them the same way to make the rear ends slip into the chambers and shear on the front like a round ball. Having a barrel with rifling to use the same "REAL" type slugs is tempting but I'm not willing to pony up the funds.

Some .41 molds...

These are from a .40 hollow base adjustable length (could make them shorter) but the diameter is a little small for the GM .403 bore.

These were fired from a 38" long GM forty with the .403" bore.
They stabilized but required too heavy of a charge. Could use a pin that doesn't reduce in diameter to make the skirt a little thinner.

Did some testing this weekend to see how much powder it took to seal off the deep rifling in the .40 GM drop-in.

What I've gone with is the Ideal/Lyman #386178 hollow base with a barrel machined to work with that mold and others.
But I'm gonna continue to work with the hollow bases in the GM forty.

Latest posts

Back