• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.40 Caliber

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That rifle is 15 years old now, it is my main turkey weapon, and has been on many hunts but still looks good. I didn't post the particulars but I'll do it now. It has a Lancaster type stock. I have a .54 and I made both of them to feel almost like the same rifle. It has a "B" profile .40 caliber Rice barrel. Davis set triggers, White lightning liner, and is trimmed in Browned iron mounts. I load a .395 round ball with .018 pillow ticking patch. For the first shot the patch is lubed with Canola oil. It also has a .375 hickory ramrod just in case the fouling makes the ball hard to seat.
I made a small peep site for the rear but the front site is a post with bright orange paint. The stock has a decent amount of curl but nothing like that rifle of olschool.
Attached is a photo of the first "shot for group" group at 25 yards (still working on those flyers). And another one of my peep.

CCI03062017-0001-514x800.jpg

SS850089-1024x768.jpg

How did you get the peep sight mounted on your rifle?

How did you get the peep sight mounted on your rifle?

The peep has a 10-32 shaft on it. The tang is drilled and tapped on a angle to the curving surface of the tang so the peep is on the same plane of the front site. Beneath the tang it is filed for clearance of the tang and the stock in opened up to accept a 10-32 nut and lock washer. In practice the peep is turned up or down to sight in then the nut is tightened to hold the peep in place.
This sounds like a lot of trouble but once sighted in to suit me I don't intend to move it anymore, so it's not a problem with me.

Back