• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

40 Caliber barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am going to have a 40 caliber flintlock built and I’m unsure what barrel to go with. I was looking at a 42” Rice Golden Age barrel in 40 caliber and I didn’t know if I should go with an A weight or a B weight barrel? I was looking for an accurate shooting gun for squirrel hunting and off hand target shooting. Other game also, groundhogs, coyotes etc. I want a slim gun but with enough weight for accurate off hand shooting. Anyone have any experience with this barrel or have any advice? I also was wondering of the weight of the finished gun with each barrel.

I am going to have a 40 caliber flintlock built,,
That part is kind of the key that makes your question tough to answer, the "built" part.
There is a half pound carry difference between the 2, and a tiny .050 across the full dimensions of those barrels
A short search of components and availability at Track (not the only source) shows that several B profile pre-inlet stocks are available with none for A profile.
You haven't shared with us how the builder intends to do the project,,,
So I would, Uhm,(?) ask the builder for input?

necchi,
The builder is going to build the stock from a piece of maple, no pre inleted stock. He’s going to build it Lancaster style. He’s built probably 20 flintlocks so far including the one in my profile picture. I’m not sure how to describe him, he offers no recommendations I think because when it’s finished I don’t think he wants you to be unhappy because of something he suggested. He can build you anything you want as long as you tell him exactly what you want. I am new to flintlocks and am looking for a good squirrel rifle and something for off hand target work. It really doesn’t have to be period correct just a nice reliable flintlock. I just couldn’t decide on an A weight or B weight barrel. I’m 6’1” 225 pounds with average or alittle bigger hands and want a gun that balances nice and something that’s not front heavy. Hope this helps.

he offers no recommendations I think because when it’s finished I don’t think he wants you to be unhappy because of something he suggested.
Exactly. that's why you have so many views to the thread and little comment,,(?)
It's all your call.
If I as going to target shoot, I'd do the B weight,, only for the known basic physics of it, weight in motion.

Pamuzzlehunter
I have a Vincent halfstock 40 cal with a 36 in barrel. At first I thought this gonna be to long but now it's done and balances Great. It's a straight barrel though and you wanted swamped. I wouldn't want mine any heavier or lighter for off hand or any other shooting.

I am going to have a 40 caliber flintlock built and I’m unsure what barrel to go with. I was looking at a 42” Rice Golden Age barrel in 40 caliber and I didn’t know if I should go with an A weight or a B weight barrel? I was looking for an accurate shooting gun for squirrel hunting and off hand target shooting. Other game also, groundhogs, coyotes etc. I want a slim gun but with enough weight for accurate off hand shooting. Anyone have any experience with this barrel or have any advice? I also was wondering of the weight of the finished gun with each barrel.
I have two .40s, one is a north caolina,starigjht 3/4 barrel, thesecond is a early lancaster patern swaped A wight barrel.the difference is alot.the swaped holds so nice they were both inteted for squirrels,,you may hold this swaped for a good while waiting for the squirrel to settle down to take the shot,,the stright is light but has the barrel hang, i like either one and use them both,so depends how much you want to spend really,,i always build rifes for people using the swaped barrels, i shot 80 grin loads from both just shooting,,the awaped has no real kick to it the stright does but nothing you cant handle it will work on anything you may hunt,,mickey

Back