• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.40 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a friend who has been hunting with a 40 caliber for 30 plus years. Shot alot of whitetails with it. As with any muzzleloading gun shot placement is the most crucial parts of the hunt. If you are a competent shooter. There is no reason why it should not work for you. :2

I finished building a .40 this year and plan to use it on whitetail. I'm limiting myself to a max range of 50 yards though.

stuartg said:
I finished building a .40 this year and plan to use it on whitetail. I'm limiting myself to a max range of 50 yards though.

I'm doing the same with my .40 CAL. SMR, unless my .45 cal. John Sheetz rifle gets done before the season ends. I might get to hunt with it during our late Muzzleloader hunt the first 10 days in Feb. (Crossed Fingers). I believe member GaLamb hunts his big Canadian deer with his .40 cal.

Discipline, I’ve let a lot of deer walk by because I didn’t like the shot.

Ӣ A bad shot and a wounded deer runs away and becomes coyote bait.
Ӣ No shot and an un harmed deer and likely un-spooked deer walks away
Ӣ Perfect shot and deer goes home in back of truck

Usually this question sets off a firestorm of a debate, with one side contending the .40 is merely a small game rifle, and the other side posting images of successfully harvested deer taken with their 40... spiced up a bit here and there with claims of a lack of ethics for those that hunt deer with the .40.... I guess there is still time for all that...

I have a .40. Out to 50 yards with my 60 grain powder load, I wouldn't have a problem firing on a deer with a patched round ball.

As for the shot, of course every rifle on the planet has a range where accuracy or impact results would render it "iffy" at best when harvesting a deer. One has to know the limits of the rifle and the load...and I too have passed on shots where I couldn't be certain I could hit where the ball needed to go... and those passed shots were with my .54. :wink:

LD

It's minimum requirement here in Alabama but like the man said its shot placement that counts.

I've come close to losing deer twice with muzzleloaders. Both were due to driver error.

BTW- One was with a 54 caliber, and the other was with a 62 caliber.

Would I have lost them, had I been using a smaller caliber? Can only speculate, but I doubt it. Some real hunting involved in finishing the deed with both of them, but I got it done.

Working on the driver error part is the answer, no matter how big the hole in the barrel.

The minimum here in Va is .45; otherwise I would have no problem hunting deer with my .40 and its 60 grain prb load.

Went shooting out in the bush and my friend brought one of those steel tanks [like propane]
and my 40 put a hole clean through it from 30 yds.
with 35gr 3f....not 120 gr. I prefer 40 to 45 gr.
Wulf

I'm one of those who think the .40cal PRB is best for small/medium game and target shooting.
I did take a beautiful 8 pointer with my .40cal Late Lancaster year before last, but it was with one of MLF member "oldnamvet"s custom 200grn REALs as part of a one-time field test. Have not / will not use the little 92grn PRB for big game deer hunting...don't like unnecessarily wasting time tracking one that may or may not leave a blood trail from that tiny hole.

Personally, when I go deer hunting I prefer to be able to hammer them with larger calibers in the .5x/.6x range to take full advantage of a muzzleloader's range and not have to pass on a good buck because I'm holding a squirrel rifle.
But that's just me, others mileage may vary.

Field test result using 'oldnamvet's custom .40cal x 200grn conical.
Makes the .40cal a much, much more realistic deer gun IMO.

40 is legal in Tennessee (home of the hog rifle).

36 is actually legal in TN.

But let us NEVER confuse legality with morality or sportsmanship. They generally start out with some relationship one to the other, but after the law makers get done mucking it up...it's often nonsense. Use your own good judgement.

SO I may have a 40 completed before deer season ends this year and HECK yeah I'll put it on a deer, given the time and place and shot. BUT when i'm hungry (failed to connect last year) for venison and want to be able to reach out a little further, then the 54 is going to be in my hands.

The 40 i'm building is for squi____ (my dog is watching me type, don't need to rile him up) targets and everything else primarily.

If i had to hunt (deer) only with a 40, I'd keep myself in tight cover* and maybe elevated more for the closest shots--just like with archery tackle, where elevation can contribute to a "bottom side" exit wound for tracking if necessary. *I've only taken a handful of game over 90 yards in all my years (with pill pushers), so "limiting" the range really isn't difficult in these SE hardwoods and cedarbushes.

Ultimate range is going to be a function of the shot presented and the load in the pipe and the skill/confidence of the shooter. Skew that to the short side and i have no problems with it.

The only deer i ever lost to a firearm of any flavor was to a 50 at 80 yards standing broad. (he survived many more years, but never presented another shot).

Very well said, you sound like a realist, an honest man.
Anybody that's that's killed a lot if deer with various caliber muzzleloaders learns the difference.
Conversely, you can always spot the Keyboard Cowboys...they spout statistics and platitudes but interestingly never seem to take any deer, post any photos, etc...LOL.
My season opens Nov. 1st...won't be long

Back