• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.40 Cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I'm totally new to .40. Noticed the common ball size for the caliber is .395. I'm sure some folks have to go a little smaller, but while I wait on my LRB order to arrive from Grafs, I was wondering why .395 instead of .390. Being brand new to such a "small" bore, isn't the increased surface area going to make getting patch with a tighter ball down harder than usual?

Again, brand new to smaller calibers so any advice is welcome regarding ball size. Coincidentally the fella who built the rifle went with a 5/16 rod even though a 3/8 fits perfectly down the bore. I think he did so because the thimbles are too small for .3/8.

My .40 shoots both 390 and 395 just fine. For me, if my barrel has shallow grooves I get better results with a larger dia ball, thinner patch. With deep grooves, smaller dia ball, thicker patch. Your milage may vary but this seems to have worked out best for me in all calibers. My experience with 40 s has been excellent, no matter what you feed them.

Would thin be something like .015 or thinner? I tried using some formerly high quality bedsheets one time and boy was that too thin.
.010 patching for me. I like an easy load. Have had a pile of them for years, so I can’t for the life of me think where I got them. Will have to look at the packaging when I get home

Any of you guys shoot .389 ?

I ask as when I went to order .390 round ball, they were not available but I did find a package marked .389.
I doubt that one ten thousandth makes a difference, but just wondering if anybody else has seen this?

LD

Yes....with good results.
A1C4861B-555D-4911-964A-EF4A8C928CD8.jpeg
AB3AF37A-0F37-4964-A7E8-84B7525845AA.jpeg

Love my .40 , .390 ball w/ .007 patch. 30 gr. fffg = light load , 60 gr. fffg = heavy load. Accuracy better than this old guy deserves. 3/4 " oct. x 38" long , Repurposed Pittsburgh iron parts , w/ copper thimbles. She's from an original Appalachian W.Va. Mtn. rifle . A Cheat River walnut flint rifle , call her Plain Jane. Skinny and carries good, slightly less than 5 lb. , and she's a killer. She shot the head off a grouse @ 12 yds. .................oldwood

.395 with .015 in my Rice barrel with square grooves. Shoots better than me.

Never tried another ball size, but there is no reason another combo wouldn’t work just as well.

I have more than a couple of .62s and .58s...but the .40 bug has bitten me hard. I’m trying to figure out how to buy another.

.395 with .015 in my Rice barrel with square grooves. Shoots better than me.

Never tried another ball size, but there is no reason another combo wouldn’t work just as well.

I have more than a couple of .62s and .58s...but the .40 bug has bitten me hard. I’m trying to figure out how to buy another.

I hear ya. I have never had anything below a .45 until now. When I drove three hours to be the first to view this estate, I wanted a smoothie for turkey and a squirrel rifle. Having never had a small bore, I reckoned the .40 I got was a .36 or so. My micrometer told me what I actually had.

The three guns I bought were my picks for one reason. Out of 50-70 guns, the three I bought had slings on them. Paper shooters don't need slings. Hunters do. So I got a .40, a .50, and my .60 smooth buck and ball gun.

The .40 is the most exciting because I've never used anything below .45. I can't wait for my LRB's to arrive to I can burn some powder!

I have a 40 with a rice barrel. It’s new. Only about 40 shots through it. 395 balls load hard with .015 patch. I shot .389 balls lately with same patch. Much easier to load. And accuracy was acceptable. I’ll work on that.

Just came back from the range with my .40 caliber Isaac Haynes (left hand flint.) With 50 grains 3F Swiss and a .400 round ball with a .020 Wonder Lube patch, I clustered five shots off the bench into one ragged hole. Then I reloaded and took my last shot offhand. It was in the same group. Right at point of aim.

I tried two different powders, three different diameter balls, and two patch thicknesses. Got lucky on combination four.

Interesting that my Wonder Lubed patches, unopened but four years old, worked perfectly.

ADK Bigfoot

I have been using .40 rifles since the late 1960s. It is a good caliber for targets and small gave. My favorite is a Vincent style rifle.

Back