• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

40 cal. power,,,,,,,,,,,,

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i was outside at my range about 1 hour ago ringing steel at 50yds with my 40cal. SMR. i got bored hitting it over and over, i had a 3in thick block of lead on the table and thought i would give that a try. this was shot off hand 50yds. with 55gr. of Goex Olde Eynsford. some people say it is to light for deer. i say it won't bounce off,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
40cal lead.jpg
40cal lead 2.jpg

i was outside at my range about 1 hour ago ringing steel at 50yds with my 40cal. SMR. i got bored hitting it over and over, i had a 3in thick block of lead on the table and thought i would give that a try. this was shot off hand 50yds. with 55gr. of Goex Olde Eynsford. some people say it is to light for deer. i say it won't bounce off,,,,,,,,,,,,,,View attachment 153620View attachment 153621
That was impressive lead against lead. If you had shot through a crono it might have been more impressive. I had to buy one £125. As I also shoot pcp pump up air guns 177/22 and have to keep it under the legal 12 ft lbs I did a .22 head shot at 45 yards on a squirrel last night , my fox had it for dinner

My 450-400 nitro 4200 ft lbs best gun for Africa it will stop anything but would prefer a .5 for a charging elephant or cape buff Perhaps a .400 round ball is a bit light unless you can hit 1900 ft sec with BP It’s more theory and practice us plebs in uk seldom get a chance to shoot deer just no wild country Interesting to chat.

When I still had a .40 I shot with a friend fairly often. First thing he mentioned was the sharp "crack" when it fired. They are also capable of amazing velocities. 60 grains of Goex in my rifle (38" barrel) chronographed at 2145 fps. That would be my deer load for sure. But my favorite load was 40 grains of 3F for around 1700 fps and amazing accuracy.

Back