• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

40 cal. Load.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garland

32 Cal
Reaction score
I picked up a nice altered TC Hawkens rifle with a 36" 40 cal Bill Large barrel. I have always shot 50s and 58s so no experience with 40 cal. Looking for advice on loading.

So the question is where and for what shooting? Target, large game, small game..., as laws vary from state to state.
For example here in Maryland IF you want to shoot for deer with a .40..., and not all states allow this..., then you'd need 60 grains (of 3Fg) to start, as that's the law for a deer load.

On the other hand, if it's targets and small game, then 60 grains is going to be rather "stout". Another way is to start with grains equal to caliber, which would be 40 grains of powder with your patched ball. That might also be a bit heavy; you'll have to try it. Some folks will use 20-25 grains for small game and punching paper.

I like 30 grains when I go small critter hunting here in Maryland
PEOPLES REPUBLIC OF MARYLAND.JPG

I then simply double the powder from my 30 grain charger and thus have my 60 grain load when I go for deer.

LD

So the question is where and for what shooting? Target, large game, small game..., as laws vary from state to state.
For example here in Maryland IF you want to shoot for deer with a .40..., and not all states allow this..., then you'd need 60 grains (of 3Fg) to start, as that's the law for a deer load.

On the other hand, if it's targets and small game, then 60 grains is going to be rather "stout". Another way is to start with grains equal to caliber, which would be 40 grains of powder with your patched ball. That might also be a bit heavy; you'll have to try it. Some folks will use 20-25 grains for small game and punching paper.

I like 30 grains when I go small critter hunting here in Maryland View attachment 76651
I then simply double the powder from my 30 grain charger and thus have my 60 grain load when I go for deer.

LD
Mostly paper punching. Thanks.

It was one recommended here that a starting load should be 11.5 grains of powder per cubic inch of barrel. For your barrel the load would be 52 grains. You could work up and down from there. I recall Zonie elaborating on this somewhere. The concept was presented by another member years ago.

Back