• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

SOLD .40 cal Flintlock SMR/Kibler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Poole,
I am selling this because I enjoy building them! I have built and sold a Colonial LR earlier and wanted to do a SMR next. (My primary work is a Mountain Dulcimer/musical instrument builder).
The barrel has been cold-browned and allowed to pitt some, and I then carded it back to get an aged look. The wood is figured Cherry which I dyed to get that deep reddish-brown color. You can see the variations of graining and tones within the wood. This is lovely character of the wood, much nicer than standard "clear" Cherry I think.
Regarding the ramrod/wiping stick, the end you see has a spiral-carved groove which I added for grip. It has a steel, threaded ferrule (pinned and epoxied as well) on the other end on the ramrod, which the jags can thread into. However, I suggest using the steel Range Rod instead, which I am also including to use for ramming and swabbing the barrel, as well as for doing any ball-extraction. The Range Rod is the one Kibler sells.
Thanks for looking and for the good questions.
~Bob
You build musical instruments? Well, that explains the quality of your work... :)

Jim is rifling these .40 caliber barrels in-house, from Green Mountain drilled & reamed barrel blanks, correct? Do you recall the rate of twist he is using?

I really like this rifle, especially the color that you brought out in an outstanding piece of cherry. The patch box is growing on me.

Did you supply the wood to Jim for this rifle? Or, was he able to source such a fine piece of cherry himself?

I truly wish I had the money to purchase it, but right now it's not possible.

Good luck with your sale.

Thanks

Jim is rifling these .40 caliber barrels in-house, from Green Mountain drilled & reamed barrel blanks, correct? Do you recall the rate of twist he is using?

I really like this rifle, especially the color that you brought out in an outstanding piece of cherry. The patch box is growing on me.

Did you supply the wood to Jim for this rifle? Or, was he able to source such a fine piece of cherry himself?

I truly wish I had the money to purchase it, but right now it's not possible.

Good luck with your sale.

Thanks
Yes, anything under .45 Cal Jim rifles at his shop. I don't know the twist rate but it would be easy for me to find out (I just didn't think about it before). The wood was supplied by Jim, which is really beautifully figured Cherry. He's so wonderful to talk with and really listens to the customer. Building this rifle was a great experience and it is a dandy shooter. It looks like I may be keeping it at this rate LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back