• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

4 F in TC Patriot .45 Cal Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicioli

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi, is it feasible to safely use 4F powder in the Patriot, or is it dangerous?
Thanks, regards, Nicioli

Thanks, I asked because this powder granulation is what I found around here and better safe than sorry. If so I was thinking a lee .440 rond ball over a 20 or 25 grains of 4 F.
Thanks, regards, Nicioli

It will be fine as long as you do not load too much. I think a typical load is 25gr of 3F. I would probably start out lower than 20.
I know if I were doing it I would start with 10gr to see what happened then work up quickly to 15-20. Not sure I would go higher than that personally but I like light loads in these fine target pistols.

Hi, is it feasible to safely use 4F powder in the Patriot, or is it dangerous?
Thanks, regards, Nicioli
Start @20 gr and work up a couple gr @a time ,when recoil gets your attention and target groups are good you found the load assuming your patches look good /Ed

I use 3F in my .50 flintlock pistol because that's all I have; but would prefer 4F in a revolver. 30 grains of 3F in my .50 pistol seems easy to manage and accurate.

Burned a lot of 4F in handguns before the internet was invented and I was informed of the error of my ways. I’ve burned off most of my 4F supply and use 3F in all but my shortest barreled handguns. Either will work with reasonable charges. Look up some data in 1st edition of the Lyman Blackpowder Handbook if you want. It’s been posted here before.

I find any load over 25 grain FFF has too much recoil in my patriot pistol, so I would recommend less than 20 grain for FFFF

Back