• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

4 dovetail cuts, only 3 ramrod pipes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erhunter

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I just purchased an early york kit from Jim Chambers and wonder why there are 4 dovetails cut on the bottom of the barrel and only 3 ramrod pipes or holders. What is the last one toward the breech used for? I have a 42 inch, 50 cal. Rice barrel. Thanks for everyone's help! I also only have 3 underlugs in the kit.

You're NOT using the dovetails to mount the ramrod pipes, they get installed in the stock (ramrod channel). The lugs get installed in the dovetails and inlet into the stock inside the barrel channel.

Sounds like they need to send you one more lug. Call them....

Well I guess I made a butt head out of myself on that one! There are 4 lugs in the kit. I'm just trying to get everything straight in my head before I start this this winter. I have the 2 videos from James Turpin and I'm just trying to take in all of the info. Thanks everyone!

IMHO, I don't think you can post a "stupid question" on this forum. These guys have been nothing but helpful.....and you should see my post!! :doh: :idunno: :rotf:

Think the build through, over and over, until you have memorized and envisioned the complete build and the steps needed. THEN you begin. :thumbsup:

Do you have a rifle building book? If not I suggest that you get one (or two) and do some reading before you start on that rifle. Use the book along with the video and it will help you greatly to understand what to do :v .

One of our members, Bill Raby, has a set of you tube videos on his building of a fusil de chase, it’s a great watch, be sure to get one or more building a ml book it’s well worth it.
You are going to have sooooo much fun. I’m saving for a winters build and sure looking forward to it.

Latest posts

Back