• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

3F or 2F

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thunder14

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok I’m new to flint locks so I need more education on powder rite now im shooting round balls 490 and lubed paches with 60gr 2F Goex at 50 yards I keep it in a paper plate,mostly because my eyes are shot cant really fine toon intill I get a peep sight or yep a scope.But i was wondering i see some guys use 3F is there a significant difference in accuracy with using either one over the other.

Ok thank you.I guess i will just do a bit of experimenting I target shoot a lot just about every day so I’m always trying to improve my accuracy.

In this ml game a lot of factors influence accuracy. There is no single answer to your question. It depends on your rifle, ball, lube, patch, load choices. But, essentially, the difference, if any, would be very minimal. The point of aim will likely change. But shooting will educate you on that issue.

If you’re using 60gr of 2f right now and wish to keep that same powder charge, you might want to back off 10 gr. If you decide to try 3f. The reason being is that 3f produces higher pressures. In other words, 50gr. of 3f would about equal 60gr. of 2f. At least that’s the way I understood it to be.

Respectfully, Cowboy

Being frugal (cheap) I figure that I am saving money by using 3f. Instead of using 80 gr of 2 f I use 70 gr of 3f. I figure that every 7th shot is with free powder. :haha:

Thunderduck said:
Thank you for the input.It seems the guys with 54cal prefer 3f more than the 50cal guys.
That's a false assumption based on only a couple posts. Many factors affect what your rifle will like. You must test for yourself. If cost is an issue, and it is with most of us, work up an accurate load with whatever granulation you have on hand. If yer happy with it, stick with it.

I'm not concerned about bench accuracy or plate shooting. I hunt, personally I'll shoot whatever powder I get my hands on.

Experience with both powders, neither has given me a reason to choose one or the other for hunting. Both do equally well as a main charge and primer. A properly functioning lock will spark 2F equally well as 3F. Play with both, let your rifle tell you what it likes. To many times people rely on advice versus fact, after all your rifle is the one going boom! Best of luck! :hatsoff:

My .54 rifle prefers 2f, 100gr pushing .530 rb at almost 1800 fps. The .54 pistol likes 3f better. Same rb, 40 gr powder. Hits what I needs it to at 20yd.

I use whatever shoots best in my particular gun. Some like 2F and some like 3F. Powder cost is the same for wither of them.

I use whatever shoots best in my particular gun. Some like 2F and some like 3F. Powder cost is the same for wither of them.

Same here, whichever powder / patch / ball / and patch lube gives best accuracy. I've actually added beeswax to bore butter,,, and have found out over the last 10 years or so that just plain ol' spit performs best as a patch lube (save the bore butter patching for zeroing for hunting & while hunting).

There's always lots of variables on the road to best accuracy. :)

Ok I’m new to flint locks so I need more education on powder rite now im shooting round balls 490 and lubed paches with 60gr 2F Goex at 50 yards I keep it in a paper plate,mostly because my eyes are shot cant really fine toon intill I get a peep sight or yep a scope.But i was wondering i see some guys use 3F is there a significant difference in accuracy with using either one over the other.
Yes, there can be a significant difference in accuracy, but so many variables come into play other than powder granulation selection.

One of the best sources for someone new or someone seeking to improve accuracy on target is the purchase of Dutch Schoultz's "Black Powder Accuracy" system. For $20 you get a wealth of information and especially a process to determine your most accurate load. True accuracy is the integration of proper ball size, patch thickness, patch lubricant, powder granulation, powder brand and powder quantity. http://blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com/

If you tell us the maker of your barrel, the thickness of your patches, and the patch lubricant, we will fill several pages with helpful hints.

Last edited:
Back