• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

3f in .58

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkarr

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've got 2 .54s been using 3f in both got several pounds of 3f only 1 pound of 2f, thinking about putting together a .58 anyone using 3f in a .58? Maybe a dumb question but thought it doesn't hurt to ask.

Not a dumb question at all as I'm debating this myself. E.g., I've typically used FFg in my .50cal. - 20ga. (.~615") guns, but switched over to FFFg for them and my revolvers. In the rifles and 20ga. (with a patched RB), I use 10gr. less FFFg than FFg. I.e., in the 20ga., that means 70gr. FFFg instead of 80gr. FFg. Ditto for a .56cal T/C smoothbore I have. In short, reduce your powder charge by 10% - 15% when switching to FFFg and keep in mind not all brands of BP burn at the same rate.

Hope this is helpful.

FFFg works pretty well in a 1:70 twist Green Mountain barrel.

27310394957_35e3c14bf5_o.jpg

I burn a lot of 3F in my .58's. My Murray carbine like 48 grs. behind a RCBS Minie and 65 grs. behind a PRB with .018 patch and LVL lube. It burns cleaner and gives me great accuracy with a smaller charge. Now I reserve my 2F primarily for smoothies and scatterguns.

I have a flint .58 with a 1/72 twist Sharon barrel. The barrel is 32" long. We shot some heavy loads but felt at the time that we could get the same velocity with less pressure by using ffg. IMHO it's not a good idea to experiment with heavy loads of fffg in a large bore when a ffg load would mean less pressure.

We set up a row of water jugs to see about penetration.
We recovered a pure lead ball in the 4th gallon water jug. A hardened alloy ball went through 10 jugs and kept on going.

Regards,
Pletch

My .54 Hawken's elk load is 120 grs 3f w/ a PRB and is very accurate and has shot a few elk. A lesser load would also kill an elk, but the 120 gr load enables longer shots....the last elk I shot was at 107 paced off yds and shots up to 130 yds are possible. The terrain is somewhat open and the extended "reach" of this load enables the longer shots......Fred

I use it in a couple of my 58's while 2f in the others. Yeah, I like 58's so much that I've accumulated 5 of them over the years.

I tested both in each gun and let them decide which they liked best. I'd recommend you do that too. Let the guns make the choice which is best for them.

flehto said:
My .54 Hawken's elk load is 120 grs 3f w/ a PRB and is very accurate and has shot a few elk. A lesser load would also kill an elk, but the 120 gr load enables longer shots....the last elk I shot was at 107 paced off yds and shots up to 130 yds are possible. The terrain is somewhat open and the extended "reach" of this load enables the longer shots......Fred

I've seen you post this load previously and I'm considering 3F in my 54 as well. I've always followed the old adage of 3F for pistols and rifles 50cal and smaller and 2F for greater than 50cal rifles.

Would you mind posting the what the trajectory of this load looks like at say 25, 50, 75, 100, and 125 yards? Sorry if you've posted this info before.

dsayer said:
Would you mind posting the what the trajectory of this load looks like at say 25, 50, 75, 100, and 125 yards?
I have that info for my .54, 34” barrel, 1:70 twist, sight height .72”, patched .535", 230 grain ball, zeroed at 100 yards. Using Lyman’s figure for velocity with 120 grains 3F G-O of 1850 fps I get this trajectory:

25 = +1
50 = +1.9
75 = +1.6
100 = 0
125 = -3.4
150 = -8.8

I've used 3F Goex for PRB in my 20 ga./.615 caliber flintlock smoothbore for the last 20 years in the range of 70-90 grains with very good results.

Spence

Similar to other responses, I have used FFFg in .58, along with .54 and .62. The .54 has a strong preference to it while the others show no discernable difference between FFFg and FFg. Try it and see what your rifle says....

George said:
dsayer said:
Would you mind posting the what the trajectory of this load looks like at say 25, 50, 75, 100, and 125 yards?
I have that info for my .54, 34” barrel, 1:70 twist, sight height .72”, patched .535", 230 grain ball, zeroed at 100 yards. Using Lyman’s figure for velocity with 120 grains 3F G-O of 1850 fps I get this trajectory:

25 = +1
50 = +1.9
75 = +1.6
100 = 0
125 = -3.4
150 = -8.8

I've used 3F Goex for PRB in my 20 ga./.615 caliber flintlock smoothbore for the last 20 years in the range of 70-90 grains with very good results.

Spence

Thanks Spence!

i use it in all the 58s I have owned, a double 58 rifle, investarms 58, tc big bore and now a 58 smoothbore rifle. I use swiss powder. all are on target. cleaner burning.

W/ a 100 yd zero, the midrange height is 2.5 inches and at 125 yds. the drop is about the same. What's nice about this load is that I hold dead on out to 125 yds.

This load is comfortable to shoot but the Hawken rifle weighs 9.5 lbs......Fred

Thanks to everyone I figured I'd let the gun tell me what it likes,but you guys have been very helpful as usual, thanks again to a great bunch of folks.

I have a Zouave that is most accurate with a 60 grain charge of FFFg and a 555 grain conical. It is almost as accurate with a heck of a lot less recoil with a PRB over 75 grains FFFg. If I take one F out of the powder, the rifle does not group as well.

Latest posts

Back