• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

3f and 58s

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried 3f in my two .58s, but seemed to get better accuracy with 2f. Both of my .58's are hunting guns, and the load that shoots best is 120 grains of 2f, a 1/2" felt bore button and a .575 cast ball in a .015 mink oil lubed patch.

Any of you guys using 3f in a 58 and what amount of powder?
thanks for the info, hope to get to the range with some 3f for the 58 before to long. think ill start at 70gr and see what happens. i have shot up to 120gr 2f in her. she has been very consistent across a range of powder charges accuracy wise. see what the 3f does.

thanks for the info, hope to get to the range with some 3f for the 58 before to long. think ill start at 70gr and see what happens. i have shot up to 120gr 2f in her. she has been very consistent across a range of powder charges accuracy wise. see what the 3f does.
I think you will find that the recoil is somewhat sharper with 3f. Not a problem for hunting, but for bench shooting it can be quite noticeable.

I think you will find that the recoil is somewhat sharper with 3f. Not a problem for hunting, but for bench shooting it can be quite noticeable.
Used to be a guy on here , his handle was Blue Shoulder. Swore by 140 grs. 3fffg.in his .50 Hawkins off the bench. Haven't heard from him in awhile. Think he quit shooting . Something about having his shoulder replaced. Have to look him up and see how he is doing.

I use 80 grains 2F powder with musket caps in an old Zouave with 575 minnie. Good for 80 yards, just does too much damage if kill is not placed right. First white tail killed in 1972 was a startling realization of what the minnie does on impact, not to mention what a lead and powder hog it is.

I'm lucky with my .50cal I guess. It shoots almost exactly the same with 80gr 2F Swiss and 70gr 3F Swiss. That said, I buy 2F Swiss for it, and prime with 4F Swiss. But if I were to use one powder, its nice to know I can prime with and shoot the 3F.

Don't have a .58 yet but in both my .54 and .62 I use 3f. 2f works fine in my .62, but I didn't like I the ignition I was getting in my .54. Switched to using 3f in that rifle and it works like a charm

We get into this discussion with grades of powder. How is it that the barrels and later tins of powder was just labeled "GUNPOWDER" in the 18th century? I had an empty barrel of gunpowder in the shop back in the 70's and a fellow came in and had to have it. We made a trade.
I remember my grandfather telling me that his father used to sell powder by the pound and put it everything from a horn to cloth bag.

I did a workup using 3F in a 58 cal.
I got better groups with that gun using 2F - so That's what I use.
If you get better groups using 3f then that's what you need to use. There is no harm in either as long as you mind your loads.

Back