• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

3F,2F,1-1/2F charge size

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rfp10000

40 Cal
Reaction score
I’ve found 50 grains of Swiss. 2F works in my Sharps carbine. With powder availability I now have to use Swiss 1.5 or 3F .
In your experience would the load size stay the same or should I change it for the different grades of powder fineness. I’m trying to save myself some experimentation.

I use 1-1/2 Swiss in some of the .45 caliber bullet shooting rifles and also a .54 Sharon barreled TC. The energy level seems very close to 2f. I would load as normal with the 1-1/2, but 5 or 10% less with 3f.

The energy level seems very close to 2f. I would load as normal with the 1-1/2, but 5 or 10% less with 3f.

Seems right … I noticed Dixie recommends 50 grn of FFF…for the sharps carbine … I’ll try 1.5F with the same charge as 2F then I’ll decide on the 3F charge ..

I tried Swiss 1.5F in the Sharps carbine at the same charge as I used with 2F. Anecdotally it seemed to have a bigger “boom”. A friend stopped by and said it sounded like a cannon!
Accuracy seemed pretty close to 2F. I’d say if I could get Swiss 2F that would be my choice, probably because I’m more used to it. I’ll try some different load sizes to see what that does.
At some point I’ll try 3F. I think Dixie recommends 50 grains of 3F for the Ped Sharps Carbine.

When going to a finer grade powder, cut charges by about 10%. Going more coarse, keep it the same and watch for excessive fouling.

I did think I had more fouling . When I dropped the block , there seemed to be “debris” on top of the block as if it fell out when I opened up the chamber.

My observations- 2f in a Sharps carbine has more fouling than 3f. Same looks to be true as well in my muskets.

Over the years I have never decreased nor increased powder charges based on going from one brand or "F" grade to another. Plus I generally use 3F Goex, Graf's or Swiss in about everything. I've only changed the charge if accuracy of a load is sub-par.

I did keep my 1-1/2F load the same as my 2F load with decent results and Dixie recommends the same size load for the Sharps using 3F but I tend to fiddle with things a bit so I’m sure I’ll play with the charge sizes a bit.
Thanks for the feedback from your experience. I wish I could have just stayed with Swiss 2F especially after finding a load that I like but supply being what it is maybe I’ll find something that works better.

I bumped the load for 2F from 50 grn to 55 for 1-1/2F… seemed great to me …..I would have stuck with 2F but none around when I was looking plus I wanted to try 1-1/2F …
9 shots at 50 yards

Attachments

• 80E6822D-C4F5-445E-9DC5-D4B205CFC24D.jpeg
    80E6822D-C4F5-445E-9DC5-D4B205CFC24D.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Back