• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.390 lead balls?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am hoping to get some .390 balls but only seem to find .395. Are they manufactured? I have not yet ordered a gun but wanted to get my supplies.

I have Lee molds for both .380 and .390. My GM 40 cal barrels prefer the .380 size with a 0.022" patch.

I am hoping to get some .390 balls but only seem to find .395. Are they manufactured? I have not yet ordered a gun but wanted to get my supplies.
Follow this link to Track of the Wolf's site.
It shows two .395 diameter balls (one on page 1 and one on page 2) and, a .389 diameter ball (on page 1).

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/127/1
Although it isn't the .390 diameter you asked about, the .389 diameter ball is only one thousandths of an inch smaller. One brown human hair is about .003 thick so, .001 is about the thickness of 1/3 of a human hair.
Used with a cloth patch, that small amount will never be noticed by you or the gun.

I have a .390" Lee mold and cast my own. I also have a Lyman dbl cavity .400" mold but one cavity gives a .397" ball. About ready to start casting and see how these larger balls shoot.

I ordered my .40 calibre in late December, and immediately started ordering supplies. I’m glad I did when I did...my .390 bullet mold came in weeks ago and I went looking yesterday to order another...you cannot find bullet molds ANYWHERE.

What the heck is going on?

To no avail, I started looking for .390” LRB’ and finally settled on the .389” Hornady’s ......As stated by others, .001” is inconsequential......they work”
49DB4D37-F844-4498-9E93-1280EB8D6C6E.jpeg
E22AA510-4348-42B4-A40D-A181FA9891CD.jpeg

If you're so inclined I have a Lee double cavity .390 mold I ordered by mistake...I only cast a couple hundred balls before I discovered my error. If you're interested PM me and we can work out a deal.

If you're so inclined I have a Lee double cavity .390 mold I ordered by mistake...I only cast a couple hundred balls before I discovered my error. If you're interested PM me and we can work out a deal.

Thanks, I am new to this and not yet ready to cast anything.

i was unaware if the .389 size.

thanks

Back