• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

.36 or .45

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most states have a 44 or 45 minimum size for deer. More food for thought, you could pick up a good used 45 fairly cheap. 36s are harder to come by and would almost certainly cost more than 45. Maybe get the 36 later. If you keep an eye out like I did, eventually you will find a good used one for sale at a reasonable price.

MtnMan makes an excellent point. Where I live the deer are small-ish (as compared to Eastern Whitetails or Mule deer of the SW), so a .45 (or .50) cal is more than sufficient. If you have a large bore rifle (.50 or larger) go with a .32 for squirrels. If you don't and you absolutely have to have a Kibler SMR, get the .45.

Consider getting a Kibler Colonial rifle in .50 cal if you live were the deer are big. You can always buy a second rifle in the future.

I hunt squirrels with an air rifle, they're inexpensive and so is the ammo...yes..I know, blasphemy. I'll go wash my mouth out with soap now.

MtnMan makes an excellent point. Where I live the deer are small-ish (as compared to Eastern Whitetails or Mule deer of the SW), so a .45 (or .50) cal is more than sufficient. If you have a large bore rifle (.50 or larger) go with a .32 for squirrels. If you don't and you absolutely have to have a Kibler SMR, get the .45.

Consider getting a Kibler Colonial rifle in .50 cal if you live were the deer are big. You can always buy a second rifle in the future.

I hunt squirrels with an air rifle, they're inexpensive and so is the ammo...yes..I know, blasphemy. I'll go wash my mouth out with soap now.
Lewis and Clark had a air rifle you are fine I use one myself.

If you want a deer rifle, buy a deer rifle. If you want a squirrel rifle buy a squirrel rifle. A compromise, is just that A COMPROMISE! Hardly ever works as good as it should...
Saying all that, I hunt everything with a .32cal here in In the Big Thickets of Deep East Texas.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Thicket
If I had the money is get more Pacific guns, but I'm having a hard time just saving for one gun.

Well there's only one answer and here it is " You can hunt Deer AND SQUIRREL WITH THE .45
You can only hunt squirrels with the .36
The .45 is the answer, based on the parameters that you've set.
No on squirrels with 45! Unless your a professional head shot(there’s a lot of em here on this forum) You hit a squirrel with a 45 and there ain’t nothin to eat, unless your not planing on eatin them in the first place. .32 or .36 for squirrels. Just my humble
opinion.

I actually kill squirrels every year with my. 50 and have killed plenty with a .45 before I had something smaller. I'm not worried about hitting them in the head or shoulders. Most of the meat is in the back legs anyway. Seems to be those that have never hunted with a .45 stating how they aren't adequate. In my humble opinion, with the right load and a head or shoulder shot a .45 will work great on most game.

I actually kill squirrels every year with my. 50 and have killed plenty with a .45 before I had something smaller. I'm not worried about hitting them in the head or shoulders. Most of the meat is in the back legs anyway. Seems to be those that have never hunted with a .45 stating how they aren't adequate. In my humble opinion, with the right load and a head or shoulder shot a .45 will work great on most game.
Ya a head shot is the same on a squirrel weather it's a 36 or 45.

You can hunt Deer AND SQUIRREL WITH THE .45
And a 50 BMG! But what’s the point.
I hunt squirrel for a couple of weeks before deer season ( while scouting deer) work the gun that I will be deer hunting with. This gives me the "feel" of the .50.
But the Op asked so I say .45 cal

Here's an ad from Green River Rifle Works that I found on plmeek site GRRW Collector – Everything Green River Rifle Works
Screenshot_20200816-171158.png

A .45 is NOT a compromise, it's a deer slayer from the word "GO". I've killed squirrels without making a mess using a .58 prb. It just depends where you hit them; I aim for the neck area so either the neck, head or "maybe" the front shoulder is where all damage will be located. But, and that's a big BUT, A light, powder-puff load is a lot kinder, as far as damage is concerned, than a typical deer load. Mostly the .45 is what I've always used for deer; and it's never taken but one shot. Several were DRT and the rest fell within sight or hearing. You might ask yourself if you already have deer hunting covered. If you do get the .36; if not go with the .45.

Heres my 36 cal. Chambersburg. Was going to have Steve Zihn open it up to 40 cal for hunting deer. But medical issues kept me from it.I sold my 50 Lancaster that he built last month. This gun built in 1970, 42 " Douglas Barrel.The most gorgeous wood you will ever find ! Thank for your time.Pete

Attachments

• 36 Cal Chambersburg 002.JPG
    36 Cal Chambersburg 002.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 120
  • 36 Cal Chambersburg 001.JPG
    36 Cal Chambersburg 001.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 122
  • 36 Cal Chambersburg 007.JPG
    36 Cal Chambersburg 007.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 134
  • 36 Cal Chambersburg 005.JPG
    36 Cal Chambersburg 005.JPG
    158.1 KB · Views: 118
Last edited by a moderator:
Heres my 36 cal. Chambersburg. Was going to have Steve Zihn open it up to 40 cal for hunting deer. But medical issues kept me from it.I sold my 50 Lancaster that he built last month. This gun built in 1970, 42 " Douglas Barrel.The most gorgeous wood you will ever find ! Thank for your time.Pete
That’s purdy!!

Latest posts

Back