• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

36 or 44 best centerfire upgrade

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I been shooting black powder revolvers since I was a 14-15 year old kid. And Mr Lincoln above is right. These guns are plenty powerful enough. And if you want a veritable hand cannon, get a Walker or a Dragoon. (the looks down the firing line you'll get when you first set a Walker off is worth the trip) :)

I am very fond of the .44 ball and cap revolvers and honestly the .36 caliber 6 shooters are decent guns also.

Now the conversion cylinders are a thing that was made for a short time. But they didn't stick around long due to a number of reasons. Main reason I could see getting one is to have options for a gun. Options is nice.

The purpose of the conversion cylinders is not to get more "power". The makers warn to only use "cowboy" loads not to exceed 700 fps. They just offer another option to your shooting, like doing a little plinking & not having to worry about cleaning the revolver right away. Let's me shoot more, which is a good thing. I usually take both cylinders with me when I shoot & have figured out how to get them to the same POI. Lots of fun!

Try the revolver as it is before you decide to do that. Properly loaded
you can get 1000 fps out of the box with the right loads. That puts
them on par with the conversions. You have plenty of power with
your BP Cylinder. Master that and the other is not a necessary.
The conversion cylinders are recommended to be loaded with "cowboy" loads not to exceed 700 fps by the manufacturer. The reason to use them is NOT power, but rather the convenience of not having to clean right away, reproducing history, & just having a fun option to shoot. The cartridge ammo I shoot in my 36 & 44 C&B revolvers have much less "power" than what I can do with ball & BP. That's NOT why I shoot them that way. It's nothing more than a fun option. Not sure why so many are negative about it.

I been shooting black powder revolvers since I was a 14-15 year old kid. And Mr Lincoln above is right. These guns are plenty powerful enough. And if you want a veritable hand cannon, get a Walker or a Dragoon. (the looks down the firing line you'll get when you first set a Walker off is worth the trip) :)

I am very fond of the .44 ball and cap revolvers and honestly the .36 caliber 6 shooters are decent guns also.

Now the conversion cylinders are a thing that was made for a short time. But they didn't stick around long due to a number of reasons. Main reason I could see getting one is to have options for a gun. Options is nice.
Modern conversion cylinder have been made for years and are still being made by Taylors, Kirst and Howell. The conversions made in the 1800's were made to covert existing muzzleloaders into cartridge guns. They stopped making them as cartridge pistols became readily available not that there was anything wrong with them.

The conversion cylinders are recommended to be loaded with "cowboy" loads not to exceed 700 fps by the manufacturer. The reason to use them is NOT power, but rather the convenience of not having to clean right away, reproducing history, & just having a fun option to shoot. The cartridge ammo I shoot in my 36 & 44 C&B revolvers have much less "power" than what I can do with ball & BP. That's NOT why I shoot them that way. It's nothing more than a fun option. Not sure why so many are negative about it.
Honestly they can take any standard pressure load safely.
A good rule of thumb is to stay under 850fps and only use soft lead bullets as the barrels in our favorite replicas are great for BP and lead RB but are too soft for plated or jacketed bullets flying out the barrel at 1200fps.
With a good quality fast Black powder one can easily push a round ball over 1000fps with the percussion cylinder.
I have a kirst and a few cylinders made by Kenny howell but honestly I prefer shooting the Holy black percussion cylinders more!
That being said they are definitely worth the money!

The term 38 special comes from the diameter when the bullet is inserted into the cartridge.
I see 36 cal round ball comes in a number of sizes from .350-.375.
How about confused with rifle 36 cal rifle ball.

Is a Walker or dragoon allow more powder

The term 38 special comes from the diameter when the bullet is inserted into the cartridge.
I see 36 cal round ball comes in a number of sizes from .350-.375.
How about confused with rifle 36 cal rifle ball.

The rifle takes .350 balls and the pistols take .375 or .380 balls. The conversion cylinders are chambered in 38 special and 38 Long Colt, .44 Colt, .45 ACP, and .45 Colt to the best of my recollection.

What is the difference between buying a 1858 nma pietta 44 cal from a gun shop or some importer. EMF or Taylor ect
I live in Winchester va where Taylor and company is located. I can buy the above gun there or from EMF which is alot cheaper if they are both made at pietta why is the EMF cheaper

First off, EMF was bought by Pietta and is now used as their importer. Buying from them is no different (except for price) than you can get anywhere else.

As for Taylors, they spec out certain requirements for their offerings and they also have in house tuned guns for a little more cash. When it comes to Pietta BP revolvers, unless you are picky about a little creep in the trigger and some roughness in the action, they shoot just as well as anything that Taylors will sell you.
If you are handy, you can polish up the internals easily as there are plenty of tutorials on line to help you.

Before you jump though, I suggest that you search Gunbroker as there have been some really good prices from independent gun shops as well as wholesalehunter and LG firearms.

Hope this helps,

Merry Christmas

I can get a 58 army from emf new for 295.00 and I'm bidding on a used one now for 265.00

Honestly they can take any standard pressure load safely.
A good rule of thumb is to stay under 850fps and only use soft lead bullets as the barrels in our favorite replicas are great for BP and lead RB but are too soft for plated or jacketed bullets flying out the barrel at 1200fps.
With a good quality fast Black powder one can easily push a round ball over 1000fps with the percussion cylinder.
I have a kirst and a few cylinders made by Kenny howell but honestly I prefer shooting the Holy black percussion cylinders more!
That being said they are definitely worth the money!
My Howell cylinder came with instructions to only use lead bullets (not jacketed) & "Cowboy" type loads not to exceed 700 fps. I believe the lead bullet recommendation has more to do with the bullet obturating to fill the rifling rather than any "soft" steel issue. The 700 fps limit is probably because the maker has no idea or control over what your frame condition is nor the material it is made of, so they want low pressures for liability reasons. IIRC, they also say NOT to use in brass framed revolvers! I have always found it wiser to follow the maker's guidelines than trusting a stranger on the internet. Just my two cents.

Yea I will quit bidding I'm at 250.00 not 275.00 why is emf 75.00 cheaper than most other sellers.
Whete is a good place for supplies
Balls, powder, caps and accessories

Track of the Wolf is a good place. Dixie Gun Works is another although they are more expensive. If you are not a die hard BP person, I would buy Pyrodex P from Walmart or Bass Pro if you have them around you.

My Howell cylinder came with instructions to only use lead bullets (not jacketed) & "Cowboy" type loads not to exceed 700 fps. I believe the lead bullet recommendation has more to do with the bullet obturating to fill the rifling rather than any "soft" steel issue. The 700 fps limit is probably because the maker has no idea or control over what your frame condition is nor the material it is made of, so they want low pressures for liability reasons. IIRC, they also say NOT to use in brass framed revolvers! I have always found it wiser to follow the maker's guidelines than trusting a stranger on the internet. Just my two cents.

Back