• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

36" or 42" TVM Fowler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grebe,

Make SURE that tapering includes ALL the barrel, octagon and round, NOT just the round section as TVM is wont to do.

Knowing what I know now, I would consider any fowler that was NOT completely tapered to be completely unacceptable, especially in a once in a lifetime gun like this.

Wait as long as it takes, but be sure to ante up the cost of a Northstar West or other maker for a fully tapered barrel.

Oh, and on them pics I posted. For that youngest/shortest nephew, that flinter he loaded an shot was his FIRST shot with any sort of firearm.

I wanted to start him out with the basics :grin:

Birdwatcher

mine is a 42" straight barrel and it is not cumbersome in my NY woods.

I built the TVM fowler in steel, and though i was told to trim up the wrist and stock more, i didn't because frankly i was afraid to make it too thin for the abuse i give it. even though there is more wood than there should be it still only weighs in at 7 1/2 lbs.

in my opinion, it is a joy to carry, and i regularly take squirrels with it out to thirty yards. not bad for no choke.

Mine is also untapered and not at all heavy with its 38" barrel. I ordered mine with a rear sight and am really glad I did. Makes aiming easier and not unlike shooting a rifle, even when using shot.

I have a TVM EV with a Oct to Round .62 smoothbore. It is tapered from one end to the other. I'm pretty happy with it at 42", but from now on I think I'm sticking with 36" guns just for ease of transport.

I have a TVM fowler with a 36 inch straight barrel. It’s a truck axle with a maple wood handle. Don’t do it, there is a reason why the kits are cheap and it ain’t for your benefit. I pretty much encourage people to stay away from TVM.

I am also looking to get a trade gun . I have pretty much settled on the NORTHWEST TRADE gun in 20 gauge with a 41" barrel. Was also considering one of Brooks fowlers, but thought they might be a bit more pricey.

I am a bit sorry to hear the negatives about TVM because I was also considering the TVM Iron Pennsylvania Rifle in a .32 caliber

I am a bit sorry to hear the negatives about TVM because I was also considering the TVM Iron Pennsylvania Rifle in a .32 caliber
I suggest you take everything you read on public forums with a grain of salt, my post included.
But my contrast is that I've had 4 excellent TVM Early Virginias and Late Lancasters built by Matt...and I definitely wouldn't have continued to have TVM guns built if they were not up to par.
One example- 28ga Early Virginia:
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/288309/

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty guns in the nice photos. Glad you had a positive experience with good ol' boy Matt. Not mine -- for example, couldn't have paid more of a surcharge for the wood and not only was it stained the wrong shade, it is two-shades, front and back, and has about as much curl as walnut. Botched job and he ripped me off, plain and simple.

If I were ever to be a customer of his I would only buy in person, gun in hand. Integrity just ain't thar...

As for a kit gun, well, that's on the buyer by and large presuming the basics are what you asked for.

Well, I don't know an easy way to say this, but:
If it wasn't satisfactory, why did you keep it?"
Grousing about a quality problem with everybody else except the people who can and will correct it won't help you.

I know for a fact if there's a problem TVM will send a prepaid return label and correct anything not right. Very first build had the wrong stain and very wrong drop at the heel from my spec sheet...picked it right back up, made a new stock with correct dimensions and stain, sentc it back in 30 days.

I'm less concerned about some company's occasional screwup than I am about what they do about...and based on the unquestioned integrity displayed with my issue, they got repeat business for 3 more builds.

I have a couple TVM's. I had a problem or two that they corrected, but I sure wish they picked up the $50 tab on shipping. That sure adds up, and yes I inquired, but they stated that their policy was for the buyer to pay shipping back to their shop.

The problem I had initially was a barrel with a tight spot that came from them that way. They replaced it, no problem, but I ate the shipping. Not real happy about that.

I'm with roundball on TVM. Matt has built 6 long guns and one pistol for me and if any of them had been sub par I wouldn't have trusted him with my 7th build. I specified and Matt built what I asked for. I have one by another builder and treasure it as well.

The pistol/ the pistol & rifle are matched pair.

EL (hybridized t my request)

Smoothbore

late Lancaster .45.

roundball said:
Well, I don't know an easy way to say this, but:
If it wasn't satisfactory, why did you keep it?"
Grousing about a quality problem with everybody else except the people who can and will correct it won't help you.

I know for a fact if there's a problem TVM will send a prepaid return label and correct anything not right. Very first build had the wrong stain and very wrong drop at the heel from my spec sheet...picked it right back up, made a new stock with correct dimensions and stain, sentc it back in 30 days.

I'm less concerned about some company's occasional screwup than I am about what they do about...and based on the unquestioned integrity displayed with my issue, they got repeat business for 3 more builds.

Roundball;
I didn't bring the issue up I just commented on an internet forum about the subject with my personal experience and recommendation. Imagine that! And I'm not protecting my investments or promoting a particular maker -- I go out of my way NOT to ever be accused of doing that like some jokers...

By the way, good ol' boy Matt told me in person at Dixon's he couldn't fix what he'd done wrong after he told me on the phone he'd make good. He called me in advance, Avance, LOL, to tell me it came out wrong and he was sending it anyway. Brilliant!

You may do what you want but don't grouse about what you think I should or should not do please. And to quote, well, you:

"Just so it's clear, I don't care one bit about how you choose to [shop] or what you do with your [guns]... not one bit."

My first fowler was a 20 gauge from Matt at TVM.
I liked the gun. It shot well and was (is) a good looking piece. But..... here's the "but".... it weighed nine pounds. That is Ok at the range but it is not OK when walking the uplands in north central PA.
I saved my nickels and dimes and had Mike Brooks make me a New England fowler..... it is a graceful piece and at six pounds four ounces it handles like a wand and can be easily carried for hours.
Pete

I was checking though some back posts about TVM fowlers and came across this post, I plan on giving them a Colerain 16ga Griffin profile barrel (at 3lbs.) to put in my fowler and will get their Queen Ann lock, they will give me a $105.00 credit for using my own barrel and the Queen Ann lock is a $50.00 upgrade charge in place of their Siler Lock. I'm also going to get them to install a regular fowler buttplate. Also I am getting a Cherry stock which they don't list but have in stock. All in all you can swap out components and they will either credit you or charge you a bit more, The Cherry stock is the same cost as their Walnut upgrade which is $175.00. Just thought I would put this out there in case someone else is on the fence about TVM. Always ask questions if your not sure about something.

In a couple of years that $200-$250 difference will vanish when you kick yourself and wish you had spent that extra. Give up booze and smokes and save that $$$$. :(

BBL length, long or short, is a personal preference and no amount of convincing will change that.
It appears Most guys eventually prefer a longer bbl. :D

I've pondered the barrel length question at great lengths. My Brown Bess carbine is something around 31-33", and I love it, but over the years I've come to the conclusion that it would be the perfect smoothbore at 36". Full length Brown Bess, for me, would be "too much" of a good thing.

I think that the thought, that a short barrel is "handier" or more maneuverable is not quite true. I have a rifle with a 40" barrel that I sometimes hunt with, and really it makes no difference. I think that the advantage of a shorter barrel is less weight. They "seem" to handle "faster", but really it's just lighter. And when you only have one shot, getting the gun on target as fast as you can, and jerking the trigger is not the hot ticket.

All things considered, my favorite barrel length is 33" or close to it, for rifles, and I love my Bess at 30+", but again, I think that 36" is really the sweet spot for a smooth bore, especially if you don't really have the experience to know for sure you prefer the long-toms. Going shorter, in it's self, won't make for a better handling or faster handling gun.

And also consider that the important thing is how the gun balances for you, that's the heart of handling, and that depends more on a combination of many things, and not just barrel length. What type of barrel, straight or tapered, half round, how much taper, thickness of the barrel walls, etc.etc., weight of the wood in the butt, where you place your support hand, phase of the moon, and so on.

Good luck!!!!

Back