• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

36-inch Green Mountain Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cajun

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Today I picked up a 50 cal, 36-inch Green Mountain barrel at an estate sale (still in its wrapping paper) for$45.00 dollars. I'm thinking about using it on the project I'm working on now. I have a Thompson/Center Hawken replacement stock and the question I have if I kept it at that length (the barrel) would it make the gun look off balance. To long of a barrel with a short stock. Thanks

That's probably the limit for length but more importantly for me would be the "feel" of the balance when shouldered. Also would there be a way to add another wedge to the stock? That's a lot of barrel for one wedge in my opinion. You could always find your balance point and send it to Bobby Hoyt and have it shortened and crowned.

Do the most of your build then decide what length to make the barrel. I have both a 32” 54 calibre and a 35” 58 calibre barrel for my rifle and both handle well to me. One key has worked fine on many rifles built for many years. You’ll find them nearly two hundred years old. Remember to get a long enough under rib and mind the spacing of the thimbles.

That's probably the limit for length but more importantly for me would be the "feel" of the balance when shouldered. Also would there be a way to add another wedge to the stock? That's a lot of barrel for one wedge in my opinion. You could always find your balance point and send it to Bobby Hoyt and have it shortened and crowned.
Thanks, Erhunter, I seen that name before/heard would you have POC# Number for him, again thanks for advice!!!

Do the most of your build then decide what length to make the barrel. I have both a 32” 54 calibre and a 35” 58 calibre barrel for my rifle and both handle well to me. One key has worked fine on many rifles built for many years. You’ll find them nearly two hundred years old. Remember to get a long enough under rib and mind the spacing of the thimbles.
Thanks Phil Coffins!!!

This rifle has a 36 inch green mnt barrel .50
DSC03043.JPG
DSC02740 (2).JPG
DSC02957.JPG
DSC03160.JPG

I also had Bobby Hoyt make me a .54 for this rifle top 1 and sight in at 50yards before moving sights also 36 inches
DSC03415.jpg
DSC03411.JPG

If it me I would have Mr Hoyt make you a hooked breach plug to fit your stock (I would also smooth out the the cut lands with very fine steal wool to dee burring the cut rifleing) and Mr Hoyt can add the tennons to fit the stocks keys/wedges (or sell me the barrel LOL) those area very fine barrels !

If you can visit his shop it's a wonder and he's Great guy !
He also does Gain twist rifling (my and my son's .54s)

I put a 32" GM barrel on an Investarm Hawken, which has the same proportions as the TC Hawken & will actually fit the TC, as well. I liked the extra 4" it gave over the 28" barrel it came with both from an aesthetic & balance standpoint. I do think, however, a 36" barrel on that stock would look out of place & not balance as well. Would be a simple matter to try it & if not satisfied cut it to your liking. BTW, they are very nice barrels & you are lucky not to be charged with theft @ that price.

Certainly good shooting I think 36' is as long barrel as could be desired & mostly go for 28" yet ime about to stock up a 42" 45 for an Armstrong preshape quite contary to my tastes but its just stock getting used up , we all have our fancies but you show good results with peeps. I have some on Scots & Turkish no prob with them .if running shots are best with scarce any sight .
Rudyard

Back