• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

.36 flyers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kemart17

36 Cal.
Reaction score
i have a .36 cal colrain barrel a under hammer. i have 125 shots thru it and have tried may different loads. i realize there is a bit of a break in period on a barrel. i still am gettin bad flyers, 1 to 2 in, outside of a 1 to 1.25 in grp shot at 25 yds. the patches i find look good. startin to get a little frustrated with it. i am also really watchin my loading sequence to do everything same much the same as possible. any thoughts???

You have to tell us everything about your load and the condition of your rifle, especially the crown. New or used? Since you are talkng about a break in period, I will assume new. Is the rifling round or square grooved?

Start with the powder, brand and granulation. Patch material and thickness. Lubricant or precluded. What is the condition of the fired patches. You say good. Ball size. Amount of powder in grains. Shooting from rest or offhand.

Size of the groups.

Previous experience certainly will give an indication of present performance.

Any comments at this time will only be speculative and may not really answer your question.

Last edited:
Yes more info. Like does the fit of the PRB pres in with thumb pressure?
Do you know max bore diameter land to land and groove depth?
Twist?
Literally everything. Detailed pixs would be good too.

You could just be pulling the shot!
If it's grouping well generally it could just be you.
Next time it's raining and stormy. Shoot it at 100yds with an assistant tying one of your legs up so you can only stand on one leg. That'll focus you :)

Next time it's raining and stormy. Shoot it at 100yds with an assistant tying one of your legs up so you can only stand on one leg. That'll focus you :)
now thats a thought,,,,lol

Yeah, check your posture, head position and any periodic changes in anchoring.

will have to pay attention next time i get to shoot, darn weather lately, everyday off work either very windy of raining.. ugh

will have to pay attention next time i get to shoot, darn weather lately, everyday off work either very windy of raining.. ugh
Me too. I have 3 to test. 2 from barrel work and 1 I just finished.

Latest posts

Back