• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

.36 Conundrum

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Goex "reenactor" powder is just the sweepings from the floor put into a can and sold to the unsuspecting.

While that may be the opinion of the poster as to the quality of the product, it is in fact not how the powder is made, and while it is possible to use "reenactor grade" powder for casual target practice it is sold for use as blank ammunition. No idea how the buyer could miss that and thus be "unsuspecting".

LD

No

No sir, I use close to boiling water until gun is to hot to touch, at the breech. Soon dried 😋.
I’m glad it works for you. In rifles, I shoot only flints, maybe percussions are different. But I am yet to see any noticeable lock time or ballistic advantage to a rifle with a patent breech. While I realize not everyone has the facilities to remove and modify a breech plug. I have to say that when I finally got fed up with dealing with patent breeches and did away with mine, my enjoyment of shooting my muzzleloaders went up 100%. Less misfires, and drop a scraper down to the flat breech face before flushing and voila, clean rifle. Less cleaning time and significantly less occasions of ffftt instead of bang..

I’m glad it works for you. In rifles, I shoot only flints, maybe percussions are different. But I am yet to see any noticeable lock time or ballistic advantage to a rifle with a patent breech. While I realize not everyone has the facilities to remove and modify a breech plug. I have to say that when I finally got fed up with dealing with patent breeches and did away with mine, my enjoyment of shooting my muzzleloaders went up 100%. Less misfires, and drop a scraper down to the flat breech face before flushing and voila, clean rifle. Less cleaning time and significantly less occasions of ffftt instead of bang..
Absolutely, I see them as the answer to the question no body asked!
A sales gimmick as is often found in firearms manufacturing. I even believe you can get firearms that you load from behind nowadays! Bizarre.
😉🙂

Please use a brass brush that has been looped through the main screw in part that goes in your ramrod. It will not separate like the cheap ones, leaving you with a stuck brush in your bore with no way to get it out.

Yep, ask me how I know. I was lucky in that I was able to actually screw the piece back on the brush and pull it out of my .32. Live and learn, not every lesson is as cheap as that one was.

Hey there everyone. I am having an issue with a Pedersoli Frontier (cap-lock) I recently picked up in .36. My intention was to use it as a squirrel gun this year but until I can get this issue sorted out, the gun is not of much use. Anyway I started doing some load development using fffg Goex and right off the bat, loading was next to impossible, even with a heavy steel range rod. I wrote it off that the balls I had been using must not be larger than .350" and made an order for some Hornady .350 balls and some .010" ox-yoke patches. Well the next trip out to the range went a lot better, loading was much smoother even without swabbing the bore (I shot over 50 times that session)... The catch is, I was using Pyrodex :eek:. I even used my home cast balls and they loaded just fine too which leads me to the powder.

I had a used rifle that had a "packed bore". It was like the previous owner using other than the hot water method, used a cleaner that compressed the fouling into a hard packed smooth bore covering. I would clean and drop a white patch until it came out somewhat white, then after a few minutes another patch with a bore cleaner solvent would come out brown. I began to get "clean bore fever" thinking my cleaning methods were the problem. I spent over an hour one day trying for a clean patch. Then I used the scotch brite and you shoulda seen the manure that came outta that bore.

I didn't think that the bore was bad because my patches went down and came out smooth as silk. Now that rifle has put 5 shots in one inch at 100 yds C to C.

Follow with alcohol then blow out with compressed air, then a spray of LPS-2 or similar.
ALWAYS bust a cap or 2 then wipe with a dry patch before loading next time out.
No sir. 👎
I just let the heat dry it out and then whilst still warm add beeswax/olive oil grease on a patch. Inside and out.
Never read of mountain men using compressors or spray cans!

I am am a. 78 year old collector it seems I only hunt small game with my BSA Scorpio pump up guns , they out shoot a shotgun. Brill

I have a number of double rifles My 4200 ft lb 450-400 for anything on the planet...577/500 no2 ..then my cape rifles etc. Around 24 rifles including flintlocks , No comment Then my .36 ml double rifle made sometime between 1904 and 1954 as dictated by birmingham crown over BP&BV proof marks I recall twist is 1/38" out of 32" steel barrels I have been contemplating loads and bullets for a couple of years, I cannot get a police permit to fire it in uk, so it hangs on the wall This past week I am drawn towards the .35/.36 remmington cartridge loading but with max 160g bullets at around 2000 ft sec BP but the barrels are strong and heavy and would take R15 or Varget,,,,,it's more interesting research than shooting the bloody thing....and as white man I don't feel like going back to Nigeria again Lovely people though , they have a hard life.. If only I could crono on a range I would be a happy man building up a great load I could comment on, perhaps in another life 😥😥😥😥😥😥

No sir. 👎
I just let the heat dry it out and then whilst still warm add beeswax/olive oil grease on a patch. Inside and out.
Never read of mountain men using compressors or spray cans!

I’m not so sure. I’ve heard tell of mountain men eating a barrel of beans with a pot of greens and possum. Then cleaning out the bore of their Hawken with compressed air. You know the really tough mountain men who can whip their weight in wildcats and ride a tornado and stick a gnat with an Arkansas toothpick in mid flight using an old Indian trick? Yep. I could see that. 😆
2C716845-91E8-49A1-A6CF-B00861DEE58A.jpeg

Back