• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

.36 cartridge former

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Any one using the capandball make paper cartridge former and if so how do you like it?
i am thinking about getting one.
Thanks for the information
Bunk

I have two - .44 & .36. They are a bit "fiddly" and sometimes with round ball I find they mess up the mouth of the paper cartridge putting the ball in. They work but I think the other ones on the market may do a better job :dunno: . Let's see what others have to say:ghostly:

I have Guns of the West version in both .36 and .44 and have no complaints. I've rolled roughly 400 rounds between the two and am happy with them.

Agreed, the Guns of the West package works ok. He has some instructional videos on You Tube. I do get split-second hang fires often, so I got some potassium nitrate to treat the paper and will give that a try. I'll be soaking them today or tomorrow.

I finally decided on the Mesa Winds all metal tool. I should have it soon and will start learning how to make revolver loads.
So we shall see how it goes. I have never rolled a hand gun tube, but have rolled a lot of Sharps tubes. Same idea just smaller it looks like.
I have the Guns of the West version and have no complaints.

Only extra thing I have purchased was a round punch for making my own circle cut outs for the cartridge bottoms.

But thanks guys for the suggestions
Yr' Obt' Svt'
Bunk

I have the Guns of the West version and have no complaints.

Only extra thing I have purchased was a round punch for making my own circle cut outs for the cartridge bottoms.
It looks like my 12 gauge wad punch will do the job, but again we shall see.
Bunk

I use the .36 and .44 formers from cap and ball, mine are well made and work well. The whole process of paper cartridge making is a little fiddly, small things of paper and glue mixed with powder and lead. One thing I learned was to take a break at regular intervals and wash the glue off your fingers.

I use the .36 and .44 formers from cap and ball, mine are well made and work well. The whole process of paper cartridge making is a little fiddly, small things of paper and glue mixed with powder and lead. One thing I learned was to take a break at regular intervals and wash the glue off your fingers.
Agreed, for myself I have found doing 10 at a time works best.

Any one using the capandball make paper cartridge former and if so how do you like it?
i am thinking about getting one.
Thanks for the information
Bunk
Mine just arrived last week from Hungary. Took a month to "cross the pond". I ordered both the .36 and .44 former along with an arsenal bundle stamp for .58 rifle cartrides. They look good, just have not had time to try to make cartridges, yet.

Hello the camp,
I have the Mesa Wind former and it is a very nicely done tool all polished aluminum.
However, i am also finding out rolling those small cartridges tubes using small bullets is a way yonder from making Sharps paper cartridges.
I am on a steep learning curve and have figured out some things I am doing wrong and how to do it right..perhaps.
Fresh start in the morning.
The good news is from the few test shots my 1851 with this bullet and powder charge at 20 yards is hitting exactly on point of aim.
I am very happy with the tool. It is well made and also is extremely durable. As I gain skill and fix some problems more information will be forthcoming.
Respectfully
Bunk

I use a small paintbrush and diluted "water-glass" for my glue. Those children's glue sticks are an episode in frustration. The w-glass paper will shater during loading so ignition is way better with a glass treated cartridge than one made dry with glue-sticks.

A side benefit of the water-glass is that your cartridges will be waterproof if you coat the finished cartridge.(Even for short periods of total submersion).

I use the Elmers stick and find that some of the paper with glue doesn’t burn. I had a lot of paper jams at the forcing cone /cylinder face after detonation last time I used paper cartridges. Used un nitrated RAW cig paper and New Wave curling paper and both gave me jam issues. I may nitrate them next time to experiment with.
I have read that water glass glue is flammable and helps burn the glued paper. I’d like to get a small bottle 4-5 oz to experiment with but can’t seem to find it locally.

I think it's sodium silicate, and I believe that it's what Sam Colt originally coated his cartridges is in.
'Raw" brand cigarette paper works very well with water-glass....other cigarette papers just shatter and crumble after the cartridge dries.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's sodium silicate, and I believe that it's what Sam Colt originally coated his cartridges is in.
'Raw" brand cigarette paper works very well with water-glass....other cigarette papers just shatter and crumble after the cartridge dries.
Yes it’s sodium silicate. Amazon has different sizes. Was hoping to get a small bottle locally to try out.

Back