• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

.36 Caliber Conical Bullets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I purchased .36 conical bullets from Dixie years ago. All are too big. No problem when I run them thru a little Lee sizing die which fits any reloading press. Those conicals were original style. I bought way too many (as a kid, LOL). Will last me forever. Dixie doesn't sell these any more.

Last edited:
do as i do. get a push through lead bullet resizer at the perfect diam. that you want. push those bullets through it and the resizer will also true up to a better round your cast bullets. i just ordered on for my self from NOE.

Thank you TNGhost. I took a minute to measure my mold. I removed the sprue plate and measured the molds opening which would be the heal of the bullet. It measured .365". Pretty much the same as my chambers. So I'm thinking now that the mold, or the lead, or both maybe.. was too hot and the bullets came out too big because of that. I'm going to cast some more and try to keep the heat down on the mold this time and see what differences I get.

Are you positive regarding your mix/alloy? Pure lead will produce a bullet that is smaller diameter than an alloy of lead and tin, or lead and tin and antimony.
I have up-sized some 375 dia, 265gr bullets for a 38/72 to 379 dia with appropriate amounts of tin and wheel weights. They now fly downrange nose first. What a pleasant thing. Start your casting with pure lead and check diameters.

Back