• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.36 Cal Colt Navy - Was this actually made by Colt?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hatchet-Jack

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought this pistol from a Gunsmith years ago. I've always assumed this was one of Colt's special editions but it's most likely made by Pietta or another Italian maker. Does anyone know the details on this model? Is it considered to be a quality piece?
IMG_20201005_164320.jpg

IMG_20201005_164147.jpg

IMG_20201005_164730.jpg

IMG_20201005_164847.jpg

IMG_20201005_164939.jpg

IMG_20201005_164419.jpg

Colt "signature series"........... Used Italian made parts, fitted and finished in the US by the Colt Blackpowder Arms Co. A separate company from Colt Industries it was owned by Lou Imperato who had previously been involved with production of the "C" series (made in the Colt factory) and the "F" series made in Imperatos factory to be sold by Colt. They are generally considered a legit Colt due to the licensing that allowed Imperato to use the Colt name on them but since they never actually went through the Colt factory they cannot be factory lettered like the "C" and "F" series guns.

Last edited:
Colt "signature series"........... Used Italian made parts, fitted and finished in the US by the Colt Blackpowder Arms Co. A separate company from Colt Industries it was owned by Lou Imperato who had previously been involved with production of the "C" series (made in the Colt factory) and the "F" series made in Imperatos factory to be sold by Colt. They are generally considered a legit Colt due to the licensing that allowed Imperato to use the Colt name on them but since they never actually went through the Colt factory they cannot be factory lettered like the "C" and "F" series guns.
Thanks that is very interesting that Colt allowed them to use the Colt name on them. I'll have to do some searching to see if I can find any of the original literature and marketing adds.

According to the "Blue Book of Modern Black Powder Values", all of the parts on the Signature series were machined by the authorized, "Colt Blackpowder Arms Company" in the U.S.A. They do not contain parts that were machined in Italy.

Quoting the book, Uberti supplied the raw, unmachined castings for the parts.

If this was intended to represent a London made Colt, Why didn't they include the London address on the barrel flat?

If it is supposed to represent a London made gun, shouldn't it have a steel trigger guard and back strap? Jest axin'.

Last edited:
Looks like a regular Colt 1851 Navy to me.

A London made gun would be stamped with a London address and it would have steel trigger guard and backstrap.
Almost all (if not all) of the Colt Navy size pistols made in London had round trigger guards. There were a few squareback triggerguard Navy's sent to England for sale before the actual Colt factory was up and running.

Back