• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

36 ,40 which I ne

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I go ahead with a ohio Vincent build which cal? I don't shoot competition.I do like punching paper. I also want to squirrel hunt and maybe an occasional coyote.mainly rabbit and squirrels,,head shots.Everyone says 36 well I got one. I figure 40 is less fouling and probably a bit more accurate far as groups go. Had 32, and 36 guns but never a 40
I have a Vincent with a flintlock in .40. You can hunt deer in Maine with a .40 cal but not a .36 cal.
Nit Wit

I had a .40 and still have a .36. While I still think a .36 will do all the things you mentioned, a .40 will give you an edge. I always considered the .40 to be a .36 carrying an insurance policy. The .40 and anything smaller don't have noticeable recoil. Mine shot very well with a load giving a blistering 2200 fps. and was great at 100 yards.

I have a Vincent with a flintlock in .40. You can hunt deer in Maine with a .40 cal but not a .36 cal.
Nit Wit

Yes, Maine and a number of other states allow the .40 to be used for deer and, I think, black bear. I've always been too stuck on the .45 to try the .40 on large game.

I have 2 40's like them both one flint one cap fingers are getting stiff and would not want to handle a smaller ball. A 40 will certainly do every thing you want to do.
I also have 2 40's and 2 36's. I like the 40 much better. For an old man with fat fingers the 40's are much easier to load and handle the components.

I prefer my .40 for just about everything. It's small enough for varmints/rabbits, big enough for hogs/deer. I can take a prairie dog head off at 125 yards with it. I use 75gr 3f under a .390 ball. It's my go to for varmints in the yard, it's loaded and ready, hanging over the door.

I don't own a .40, but I do have a .32 and a .36. Those little bullets are a little difficult to handle sometimes. I've shot .40 caliber pistol bullets in .45 caliber unmentionables. They shoot well and are easy to handle.

I went hunting in south GA a few times, and they allow .32 cal or larger. I believe if I was to hunt deer with my .32 I’d wanna take head shots only, and probably 50 yards or less.

Yup our Ky. set the rules right, wide open for your choice. Of all the smaller cal.'s the .40 is the cream at the top. Light load it n tree rats ,rabbits are good to take. Med. load Turkeys, raccoons, yotes n the Bobs all will fall. Use upper end loads n tick toters, hogs n yogi's with decent shot placement are bagged. I had a Poor Boy iron parts, 42" bbl. XXDouglas, LH Cockran perc. lock. Twas a very nice rifle.

I knew I had a picture somewhere. 20 grains seems better than 15, but they're both good.
Screenshot_20190527-095906_Gallery.jpg

.40, no question. It’s the ideal target caliber and makes excellent work from squirrel to even up to and is including smaller deer sized games out to relativistically modest ranges with proper loads and shot placement.

I went hunting in south GA a few times, and they allow .32 cal or larger. I believe if I was to hunt deer with my .32 I’d wanna take head shots only, and probably 50 yards or less.
A neck shot would put one down as well. It might require a follow up action but I'm satisfied it would put one down. At 25-35 yards that little .310 RB sinks into wood quite a ways with only 20 grains of 3F propelling it.

I have never shot a deer with a .32 nor a .36. I spect with a good rest it can be done. I would put it right through the eyeball, or if behind a bit into to earhole angled into the brain. I have killed some with a .40, i am comfortable using it

Latest posts

Back