• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.358” Round balls for a .36 gun?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Are .358” round ball used in .36 caliber Muzzleloaders, or is it too large?
I have a .36 and shoot a .350 but they need thick denim for patching. Can’t find .355 and see the .358” offered in various stores. Not sure and don’t want to buy what will not work.
Thanks

My .36 rifle likes .360 round balls. It has also shot .358 round balls, and .355, while .350 has never been the most accurate. Ball/patch combo is more important than either separately. Try them and see for yourself.

ADK Bigfoot

I've found most rifles can be made to shoot well using reasonably odd-sized balls if an appropriate patch can be found. Several years ago I was having really good luck with a .56 smoothbore using .54 cal (.530") balls and a heavier denim patch. I'll second ADK Bigfoot's comment that the ball/patch COMBO is more important than either separately. I also tend to shoot the loosest pall/patch combo that will give me acceptable accuracy, thus tend to keep an assortment of various patch materials on hand. I've had several squirrel rifles that shot great using a spit patch cut from a thin T-shirt. I'd order those .358's and plan on using a thinner patch.

I would respectfully suggest actually measuring your bore.

Various pistol and rifle .36 bores are different from each other.

My Uberti .36 C&B takes .375" balls
My T/C .36 Seneca rifle takes .358" balls
My H&A .36 U/H rifle has a tight bore that won't take a ball over .350".

I always try and shoot .005 under bore with small caliber guns. All of my 32s shoot .315s very well Like you I could never find a .355 ball for my 36s and I use a thick patch with a .350 ball which works very well. If I were you and could get my hands on some .358s I would definitely try them. I like using the thinnest possible patch that performs well with the heaviest ball for caliber possible.

Back