• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.325 round balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnCanadian

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Looking at a new rifle and I have access to a mold that makes .325 balls. are these too big for a rice .32 cal barrel?

Rafterob is correct.

A .325 ball in a .32 barrel (measured at the lands) could probably be hammered in without a patch, but would most likely shoot like manure because the gases would be going past the ball through the gaps in the grooves. Unlike a R.E.A.L. bullet, a round ball should be smaller in diameter than the bore with the patching material providing the seal into the grooves. A .310 ball with a .015 patch would probably be a good starting point on a .32, depending on the groove depth. Deep round grooves can soak up a lot of patch.

My .32 likes .315 patched balls. .311s will work, but mine prefers a slightly larger ball. .325 sounds WAY too big unless your bore is badly oversized.

ADK Bigfoot

My gun likes the .311 balls that I use. I never sized the patch thickness, but I'd venture a guess that it's about .010 to .012. This combo works well though.

Looking at a new rifle and I have access to a mold that makes .325 balls. are these too big for a rice .32 cal barrel?

If in doubt, measure the bore, land to land and groove to groove. As said by others, the patch will do the sealing, much like a gasket.

Harbor Freight sells digital calipers that work ok.

Don't buy a rifle based on a bullet mold. Buy the rifle you want, .32 - .36 - .40 or whatever then buy a $30 lee mold that is the proper size. I would think that a .325 is a revolver mold. steg49

I have a rice barrel in a TVM Lancaster in .32. I shoot 310 and 311 . . . I have .315 that I have yet to try . . . but I think the gun is more accurate than me as is with either ball and a .15 patch and 30 grains of Goex 3f. I can't imagine getting a .320 or .325 ball in it with a patch. In my experience, if anything, Rice runs tight not lose on caliber (I have a Rice 40 too.)

Back