• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.32 shooters

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How many shots do you get before your accuracy falls off? I started getting a couple flyers after 6 shots with no swabbing between.
I have been able to shoot my 32s with accuracy pretty much as long as I want, no swabbing per say, but with the roundball wrapped in a fairly wet patch. With the 12 to 15 grain of 3F or 4F powder charges I typically use in my 32 caliber squirrel guns, that a wet patch will change things up if it sits on the powder for even a short length of time. I have just learned to use a .375” diameter dry hard felt wad over the powder.

One can get away without swabbing the bore between shots by using a heavily damp to almost wet patch. Of course, the wet patch is doing the swabbing of the bore needed to keep the fouling of the bore controlled. Relatively frequent shooting on the range minimizes the adverse effects of the wetness of the patch.

mine shines with a over powder wad.
shooting a .310 ball with a .005 patch lubed with frontiers, i can get 5-6 shots before i start getting a flyer.
single patch in and out clears it up for another 5-6 shots.
if i put the over powder wad in the mix , i don't need the swabbing until about 15th shot. but this is my home brew powder too, so i can't say with anything else.

Like Hanshi and a few others on this post, I don't have to swab my barrel to maintain accuracy. The most I have ever shot in a row was about 25 rounds, and the first shot loaded and shot the same as the last shot using 22 grains of 3f Goex with a .315 ball and a .015 mink oil lubed patch.

I sure envy you. After three shots with any of my rifles I’m beating the ramrod down with a sledge hammer.
I use Falkenberry Juice, and NEVER have to swab. I have fired over 30 times and the last ball goes down as easily as the first. I still have two bottles left. Unfortunately, it's not sold any more. When it runs out, I think I will try Ole Griz. It's sold through the Hawken Shop, but you may be able to find it elsewhere.

One of my ‘secrets’ to getting a roundball muzzleloader to load easily and shoot accurately is to make sure the bore is smooth and burr free. Difficult to load and torn patches are not my friends. There are many ways to polish and smooth up a bore. One is to shoot it, sometimes maybe 200 to 500 rounds to get it slicked up. Old yarn was that GPRs required 200 shots minimum for optimal accuracy. Another method is to polish and deburr the bore, something I have done for years with most every new or used muzzleloader I have owned. Never hurt, helped in most cases. Here is a @duelist1954 video showing the process he used on a difficult to load GPR. I have posted a link to this video more times than I can remember.

I have used a similar method with Scotch-Brite for some time, but Mike explains his very well. I started doing it after speaking to Don Getz (Getz Barrel) years ago before he passed, and he recommended using the green (600 grit) Scotch-Brite for smoothing up barrels that were cutting patches. Said it wouldn’t hurt the barrel. It has not harmed one yet.

I sure envy you. After three shots with any of my rifles I’m beating the ramrod down with a sledge hammer.
I'm still experimenting with my Crockett rifle, but I have found that what seems to be a result of "fouling" seems very sensitive to the diameter of the jag you're using. Also, sensitive to the patch thickness and lube. I'm currently using 0.310" ball, 0.015" patch (square ticking), and olive oil lube. But I just took a bit more off my jag diameter, and that helps both with cleaning and loading. Using Schuetzen 3F powder.

The jury is still out on the final solution. I don't know right now how many shots I'd need to fire before "needing" to swab the barrel. I know I've put at least 8 through it without any cleaning. I wouldn't beat the ramrod with anything. And I don't use a ball starter. Before I took down the diameter of the jag, things were pretty grim. I did lap the bore as well, but I'm not sure that made a lot of difference.

Mine was still loading easy after a dozen shots, It just seemed like the accuracy was falling off after the first few rounds. It was probably me, I need some new sights on this thing bad. I'm using 20 and 25 grains of Pyrodex P with TC pre lubed .015 pillow ticking and a .310 ball. I've got a pound of Goex fff I was saving but I think I'll start using it instead of the Pyrodex and see what happens.

Back before I knew any better and I used Pyrodex I'd have to wipe the bore frequently or not be able to load. Since I've switched to homemade powder I can shoot it as long as I want and the feel and accuracy don't change at all. This is with my Cherokee caplock and Dixie flintlock both 32 cal.

I can get accuracy as long as I can get it loaded. Which is about 2 shots lol I just swab with alcohol and I can shoot forever with accuracy. Could probably go longer if I changed my lube but it will put 5 balls in one hole at 25 and under an inch at 50 so I wasn't going to mess with success.

Most of my shooting is at targets, normally five shots each. I swab the barrel every five shots, even on a Woods Walk. I've tried swabbing between but then the person running the match calls time before I'm done with all my shots. From my experience, wet patches clean the barrel when each ball is loaded but grease patches seem to "seal" better.

Walt

Back