• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

.32 rifle load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One other possibility. I had a .32 Traditions deerhunter that shot like manure with every combo I tried. Until I put an overpowder wad in the load, then it shot some outstanding groups. I believe the rifling was sharp, and was cutting patches, the wad offered enough protection to mitigate the rifling issue. Worth trying at least.

T
One other possibility. I had a .32 Traditions deerhunter that shot like manure with every combo I tried. Until I put an overpowder wad in the load, then it shot some outstanding groups. I believe the rifling was sharp, and was cutting patches, the wad offered enough protection to mitigate the rifling issue. Worth trying at least.
Thanks again. Your other suggestions were spot on. I really don't believe the patches are cutting though. We shall see. Got the ball pulled and cleaned the bore. Hoping to have some time to shoot tomorrow!

Well first of all Happy New Year to all. Had a chance to get out back and work with my squirrel rifle today so here is an update.

First of all I know that I should be benching this rifle to get it sighted in. At the moment I don't have any feasible setup to accomplish this at the moment. Keep in mind this is all offhand at 25yds.

I have no problem with TOTW Mink Oil at all but I think I had the patches too heavily lubed and had hardened up a bit over the coarse of a few months. I went back to my tried and true pillow ticking with cooking oil for lube like I started 20 years ago. Now it's shooting!

Shooting a 1 inch circle at 25 yards offhand. I started with 30gr. Had a dull flint and two misfires so I knapped it and lacking confidence in ignition I pulled my first 3 shots. I called them all bad as soon as I squeezed the trigger. Settled in and fired 5 more. I called them all good. Ended up with center to center of the two furthest is a 1.5" group.

Stepped up to 35gr. FFF and changed my target. Called my first 2 shots bad and they were. High and right. Next 4 shots I called good. Once again furthest two center to center is 1.5".

I'm feeling better about this and will get over to the range soon and bench the rifle and get it tuned in. In the meantime I have no problem getting into the squirrel woods once flintlock deer season ends. What do you all think of the progress?
20230101_172945.jpg
20230101_173040.jpg

Every rifle certainly is an individual and what works in one may not do as well in another. "Crooked Creek" gave some good advice in his post. I've never owned a rifle that was especially difficult when searching for loads. I've been shooting flintlocks for 54 years and discovered a few things about them. I'll list a few.

1. The muzzle photo shows an unfriendly muzzle for patching. Most damaged patches are damaged
while starting at the muzzle entry. By all means polish it carefully to create a smooth start for the
patched ball.

2. I've never detected any difference in rifle accuracy caused by patch shape. Best for the patch to
not be overly large though.

3. Over the years I've used mostly Hoppes BP Lube, mink oil, spit and DGW "Black Solve". There was
good accuracy regardless of which one I used.

4. I've owned only 2 .32 rifles. The first was a Crockett which could group 5 shots in one finger
diameter hole at 45 yards. I used 30 grns of 3F and a .015" patch wrapped around a .311" ball.

5. I now have only a flintlock SMR in .32. The crown has been polished as have all the rest.
The barrel is a Rice barrel with round bottom rifling about .016" deep. Such rifling requires
a thicker patch to fill those deep grooves. My load is a .311" ball, 20 grains of Swiss 3F and
a canvas patch .024". The loads are fairly tight but I still use the underbarrel (hickory) rod
whenever I shoot. The patches are usually clean and can be used again.

This works for me and my rifles but not necessarily for others.

Latest posts

Back