• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

.32 out of a .40

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why not use the .40 and shoot them in the head?
Novel idea.

How are you saving saving lead? Before you had to have only 40 cal. balls , now you have 40 cal. balls and 32 cal. balls.

Last edited:
The answer I would've been looking for is a .40 caliber sabot for a .32 caliber projectile, but I don't think anyone makes something like that. You are basically doing the same thing with cloth instead of plastic, and if it works then it works.

The answer I would've been looking for is a .40 caliber sabot for a .32 caliber projectile, but I don't think anyone makes something like that. You are basically doing the same thing with cloth instead of plastic, and if it works then it works.
I guess you could say that the second patch was a sabot.

Okay so I just wanted to give an update. So after lots of shooting.. learning.. adjusting sights and finding a new method of loading and thicker patching I know I can do what I set out to accomplish and that’s squirrel head shot accuracy at 35 yards. I believe it could shoot farther but again I’m not looking to do so I just wanted to keep it within 40yrds. (I know in the picture the box says 30 but I moved it back to 35 yrds) my final shot was high but that’s bc the sun was setting and I couldn’t quite see the tip of my front sight, it needs filed down a little but I can do that at another time. Two were touching and the third one would have been in there also but like I said it was high bc of it being dusk but left and right was perfect. What I found after I got thicker denim jeans instead of doing patch, wad, patch, ball... i gained more compression and accuracy by doing patch, patch, wad, ball. I was shooting with 20grains of 3f.

Attachments

• FD6A9C21-FE41-4A3C-BD20-9834CD43A401.jpeg
    FD6A9C21-FE41-4A3C-BD20-9834CD43A401.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 7D938947-A6B8-4A0B-97A0-A7581A49E883.jpeg
    7D938947-A6B8-4A0B-97A0-A7581A49E883.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 5A5D2F62-1FAD-49A2-BFAE-14982732EE82.jpeg
    5A5D2F62-1FAD-49A2-BFAE-14982732EE82.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 883040A8-D54E-4328-80CC-ABD1674C2272.jpeg
    883040A8-D54E-4328-80CC-ABD1674C2272.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
This isn’t for the people who encouraged this experiment it’s more for the doubters or “why would you do that” crowed. I think it’s funny how you post something on here, something different such as shooting a .32 out of a .40 caliber and you have ppl saying it can’t be done or why would you do that etc... you then show that it can be Done and done very well and it’s crickets.. seriously how many people have successfully done this? I’m not saying I’m the only one that’s just insane to state that but apparently not many ppl have bc no one has said so. Gotta love the computer warriors of our day.. I hope this helps some people who are looking to do the same thing I did, it’s different and enjoyable. Also we alway talk about back in the day the people who HAD to use a black powder gun to survive what would they do... well I know if they figured out how to shoot smaller balls out of a larger caliber(and maybe they did) they would. it makes the gun more versatile for sure, why do you think a smooth bore was so popular.. versatility. I will continue to post about this and give pictures of kills once I’m able to get out. “Let no one deceive himself. If anyone among you thinks that he is wise in this age, let him become a fool that he may become wise.”

I went back to the beginning to read what the "computer warriors" said and couldn't find one negative comment. The "why would you do that" was a legit question I think, and you answered it. :)

Pretty interesting stuff in my opinion. I'd bet that folks did a lot of stuff "back in the day" that would make todays "purists" red faced.

One of my grade school teachers had a saying that I've never forgotten, "I can't never did anything".

Sometimes it is not what is said, but how it is said that smells of negativity. Yes, there were replies on this thread that smelled of that foul attitude. I've just read other posts that snide comments were left that really didn't need to be. The older I get the easier it is to want to allow negative thoughts be blurted out, whether in speech or written form. But my goal is to stray from being an old curmmugeon, feeling superior in cutting others down at the knees, just because. Fellows, we are an older bunch. That doesn't mean we have to pour cold water on the fire of everyone that enjoys experimenting, does it?

Lbothell, glad you are enjoying this hobby and all that can be learned from it by experimenting. After 3.5 decades I still love the sound and smell of blackpowder shooting. Hope you will too.

Okay so I just wanted to give an update. So after lots of shooting.. learning.. adjusting sights and finding a new method of loading and thicker patching I know I can do what I set out to accomplish and that’s squirrel head shot accuracy at 35 yards. I believe it could shoot farther but again I’m not looking to do so I just wanted to keep it within 40yrds. (I know in the picture the box says 30 but I moved it back to 35 yrds) my final shot was high but that’s bc the sun was setting and I couldn’t quite see the tip of my front sight, it needs filed down a little but I can do that at another time. Two were touching and the third one would have been in there also but like I said it was high bc of it being dusk but left and right was perfect. What I found after I got thicker denim jeans instead of doing patch, wad, patch, ball... i gained more compression and accuracy by doing patch, patch, wad, ball. I was shooting with 20grains of 3f.
What's the twist of your barrel?

What's the diameter of your target?

You said two touching and one high. It almost looks like a string of three touching. Is it two or three?

What's the twist of your barrel?

What's the diameter of your target?

You said two touching and one high. It almost looks like a string of three touching. Is it two or three?
Barrel twist is 1:48, the target is roughly 1.5inch circle but not exactly sure. It’s two touching and the third one is high above the circle. Left and right was good and it would have been touching as well if it wouldn’t have been high. At that point in the day since it was low light I could see left and right but the fine tip of my front sight was hard to see. It was consistently shooting low and I will need to file the sight, but when it was completely visible I had no problem holding it where it needed to be to get the elevation right. But with it getting dark I couldn’t see the very tip of the sight and I over compensated a little and shot high

this reminds me of a trick my grandaddy told me when i was a kid. he said during the depression you could not find a 12 gauge shotgun shell anywhere. he said you could find 16 gauge, so they would take the 12 gauge and cut off the paper hull at the brass, and slip a 16 inside, and bam! you could load them in a single or double barrel and fire away, maybe he said 20 gauge inside the 12, either way you got to love the old timers,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

this reminds me of a trick my grandaddy told me when i was a kid. he said during the depression you could not find a 12 gauge shotgun shell anywhere. he said you could find 16 gauge, so they would take the 12 gauge and cut off the paper hull at the brass, and slip a 16 inside, and bam! you could load them in a single or double barrel and fire away, maybe he said 20 gauge inside the 12, either way you got to love the old timers,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
That is awesome!! I love how people can make just about anything work, especially that older generation bc they didn’t have a choice. I’m learning to really appreciate these things

Back