• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

32 or 36cal suggestions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzz

45 Cal.
Reaction score
ok like to add a small bore rifle to my collection
i have done some searchs here but still wanted to ask
i will be shooting mainly targets with this one
and if i was to biuld one witch one 32 or 36 cal in flint

If it were me i would pick the .36 over the .32 , but i would realy like a .40 for target shooting. Good luck with which ever you chooce.

Based on my .32 , if your target shooting involves shooting past 50 yards, go with a bigger calibre.

If I were you I would consider the 40. As said before, handles the wind better, the balls are also easier to handle, and you can use a 3/8 inch rod. The last one I find convenient, others may not, but I find it easier to use than the 5/16 inch rod.

Given the choices, my pick is the .36 for the same reasons mentioned above and the fact, that given the same barrel profile the .36 will be a little lighter.

Enjoy, J.D.

Love my .36 Tennessee flintlock! Small enough for squirrel, but a bit more "punch" for turkey. Either one will be fun, but like others have said, the .36 will be a bit less affected by the wind.

Well I have a .32 as mike says great on rabbit, squirrels and other small critters. With that said I'm looking into getting a .36 next and matching cal side arm then it'll be a 50 or 54 long gun

The 32 is just plain fun, I have a Cherokee or Senaca that I enjoy. 15-20 Gr I love it.
The best thing, NO RECOIL.
David

thanks all who chimmed in never had a 40cal
this any reason not just go 45??
36cal i think will be my choice

I went with a .36 for several reasons. It's a popular caliber so more stuff/foo-fraw available. It's easier to clean than a .32 (IMHO) and it will "buck" the wind better than a .32 will. I got mine mainly for target shooting but it should work for tree rats and bunnies just as well. I also got a .36 Seneca for the wife, so we both use the same loads and such.

If it were only small game hunting you want it for, it wouldn't make much difference as both the .32 and .36 excel at that. But since you're talking target shooting the .36 is a better choice. Of course the .40 is ideal but when you get up around .45 you're way out of that small caliber class.

yes i settled on a 36cal now length as i want a long rifle i thinking 42 or longer

40 cal for targets no doubt about it. It has better ballistic coefficient of the two you requested. If its not a choice then the 36 is your next best option.

A swamped "A" weight barrel will hold well and save on weight. Just a "hint", Hornady 000 buckshot is .35 dia. slightly lighter due to the alloy mixed in the lead, perfectly round, and purchased cheaply in 5lb boxes at your local reloading supplier. I have a Rice barrelled .36 underhammer that just loves them.

You may have made your decision but let me put in my two cents... I struggled with the same question on my last build (just completed) and went with a .40 southern swamped from Rice. I have a buddy with a .32 and we shot on a 10 mph wind day in different situations and the .40 out shot the .32 easily. What is nice is that I am shooting .375 with a .020 ticking. You get the best of both worlds. Smaller diameter if desired and ability to go up to a .395 if desired. The .375 loads so nicely and drives like a tack. 60gr 3F is a sweet combo!

ayup, what that Tennessee fellow said ... I'd go with a .40, swamped A weight ... nice length and great balance (Colerain raduis groove rifling, 42") ... if that doesn't fill the bill for some reason, go with a .36.

just my free opinion, and no doubt worth the money.

Make good smoke!

To start off with, I have both .32cal and .36cal's. Some of what has been already said is true. One does get more "range" out of the .36cal, however with my old eyes, the .32cal is more than enough for the range that I can hit a squirrels head. I also admit that the wind does have more effect on the smaller ball so on "breezy" days I use my .36cal. As far as cleaning goes, I don't find either one any more of a problem than my .50cal. So far I am still nimble of hand and fingers so the small balls don't pose a problem there. I really can not speak of the .40cal's because I never had one.
I just like sneaking around the woods with my little "pop guns". They are more economical to shoot and don't make much noise alerting the other critters. By the way I forgot to mention that they are both very accurate.

Vern

Back