• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.32 Frontier

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gus Chiggins

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Hi. Can anyone give input on a Dixie Gun Works built rifle? I saw the same model on an auction site for -$100 what DGW lists, but with just a stock photo(like DGW). Out of hand I think I would trust DGW a little more.. Thoughts or experiences? Thanks.-- rifle in question is a Pedersoli Frontier in .32.

Good price, see them for 780.00 new. Good shooting rifles I like mine a lot. I gave 400.00 and thought I got a good deal.

Bud owns one and has shot it for years. All of us really admire it for accuracy and reliable performance. Frankly if one popped up for $100 in our neighborhood, you'd have a bunch of tracks running up your back with so many of us climbing over the top of you to get there first.

Bud owns one and has shot it for years. All of us really admire it for accuracy and reliable performance. Frankly if one popped up for $100 in our neighborhood, you'd have a bunch of tracks running up your back with so many of us climbing over the top of you to get there first.
Ok, sorry guys. My post says "-100 what DGW lists", meaning its 100 cheaper. DGW lists it for $825, GB vendor is around $725. I just didnt know if the extra $100 was worth it to purchase from Dixie. Or, if Pedersoli finished rifles are the same no matter where you get them. Thanks.

Dixie doesn't build guns. Assuming you already knew this, you must be looking at a used gun that is being sold at auction.

Being used, you are taking a chance if you buy it because there is no telling how the previous owner treated it. It might be in unfired condition or it might have been shot and never cleaned or something in between.

Dixie doesn't build guns. Assuming you already knew this, you must be looking at a used gun that is being sold at auction.

Being used, you are taking a chance if you buy it because there is no telling how the previous owner treated it. It might be in unfired condition or it might have been shot and never cleaned or something in between.
No, I actually didnt know that, thanks. Your post is a little confusing.. i AM assuming that Dixie sells their already built guns "factory new", unless you're saying they aren't. Not positive about the forum rules concerning this, but the GB seller(a large outdoor store that has a presence on GB) listed their rifle as "factory new". If both rifles are finished in a Pedersoli factory, i dont feel that paying Dixie and extra $100 is warranted(this is the crux of the post). Thanks Zonie.

If both rifles are finished in a Pedersoli factory, i dont feel that paying Dixie and extra $100 is warranted(this is the crux of the post).

You'll get your c-note back and more AFTER the sale if anything goes wrong. Dixie knows their stuff and will work with you to make things right. The expert behind the counter of a big box store will be doing good to get the thing boxed back up and correctly labeled for shipment to the factory repair station for even the smallest issue. Your choice, but I choose to shop for service.

One other difference is that the vendor on Gunbroker may not have the same return policy as Dixie.
The Wholesale Hunter return policy seems a little contradictory, since it says no gun returns, but then elsewhere it says to contact them to return unopened, unused merchandise that may be defective for a refund or exchange.
The difference seems harmless unless there's a real problem. But the vendor says that they will try to work it out.
I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as you're happy with the unfired gun when you open the box.
Also, Dixie specifically says that their Frontier stock is made of walnut, while the Wholesale Hunter ad says its "select American maple or walnut".
Unless Pedersoli has changed their stock wood, the rifles should have the same description but for some reason they don't.
I watched a video of Pedersoli's stock making operation and at the time they said that all they used was American Black Walnut.

Last edited:
One other difference is that the vendor on Gunbroker may not have the same return policy as Dixie.
The Wholesale Hunter return policy seems a little contradictory, since it says no gun returns, but then elsewhere it says to contact them to return unopened, unused merchandise that may be defective for a refund or exchange.
The difference seems harmless unless there's a real problem. But the vendor says that they will try to work it out.
I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as you're happy with the unfired gun when you open the box.
Also, Dixie specifically says that their Frontier stock is made of walnut, while the Wholesale Hunter ad says its "select American maple or walnut".
Unless Pedersoli has changed their stock wood, the rifles should have the same description but for some reason they don't.
I watched a video of Pedersoli's stock making operation and at the time they said that all they used was American Black Walnut.
Yes, yes, and yes(to the comment above yours). I guess that was what I was asking in a round about way. I wasnt going to name-drop(wholesale hunter). But if DGW are good folks to deal with, and good customer service, that is definitely worth $100 to me. Thanks everyone.

Yes, yes, and yes(to the comment above yours). I guess that was what I was asking in a round about way. I wasnt going to name-drop(wholesale hunter). But if DGW are good folks to deal with, and good customer service, that is definitely worth $100 to me. Thanks everyone.

I noticed that Wholesale Hunter has the exact same ad and price and quantity in stock as the vendor named LG Outdoors.
They list the gun as coming from the Italian Firearms Group, probably the same Pedersoli US factory warehouse as Dixie's guns.
The only difference should only be which batch they received and when they received it.
Dixie has delivered guns with the same flaws as any other Pedersoli vendor.
However they usually always make the customer happy by accepting a gun back and delivering another one if they want one.
In any case don't fire it unless you want to keep it.
Then if there's any problems going forward contact Dixie since they have a service tech.
LG Outdoors is probably only a large warehouse operation, but their prices are less.

Life today is all about customer service imho. I pay way more for my business cell service cuz I get to talk to a nice young lady in NE or MN or WA not somebody that just got outta "accent school" (YES they do have accent school!).

My brother dealt with Wholesale Hunter once....and we don't anymore...period. It was akin to dealing with a telemarketer that barely even knew how to dial the phone and knew nothing about the product. Go to Dixie...they treat you right.

No, I actually didnt know that, thanks. Your post is a little confusing.. i AM assuming that Dixie sells their already built guns "factory new", unless you're saying they aren't. Not positive about the forum rules concerning this, but the GB seller(a large outdoor store that has a presence on GB) listed their rifle as "factory new". If both rifles are finished in a Pedersoli factory, i dont feel that paying Dixie and extra $100 is warranted(this is the crux of the post). Thanks Zonie.
Dixie Gunworks imports their guns and they are brand new, factory made guns.

Because Dixie imports so many guns from a company they often have the company stamp "DIXIE GUNWORKS" or something similar on the barrel. I own several "Dixie" ,Cap & Ball pistols that are marked this way.
Aside from the special marking, the guns are the same ones made by the company and sold under the company name.

In the past, Dixie has offered some guns that are unavailable on the open market. For instance they offered a "DIXIE TENNESSEE MOUNTAIN RIFLE" and a "DIXIE TENNESSEE SQUIRREL RIFLE" that were made in Japan by Miroku especially for Dixie.

Back