• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

#32 drill bit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are talking about wire drills listed by gauge- the only local place I know of is ACE

I buy my small drill bits from this place by the 12/pack < Toolsavings, LLC online store >. They are so inexpensive not to. They have HSS, cobalt and other compositions but the small HSS ones are most forgiving for breaking when flexed - cobalt will snap quickly unless you have a ridged set-up. Here is your HSS #32 drill bit that's made in the USA -

Description:#32 BLACK JOBBER DRILL RH USA
GROUND FROM SOLID 118 DEG PT
BLACK SURFACE TREATED HS
ALLEGIANCE MADE IN USA
List Price:$0.83

Another vote for McMaster Carr - it's "Amazon" for people who do stuff.
If you're not happy, you can return anything for a refund.
I recently bought a kit of jeweler's files and the round file diameter was larger than the spec on the product page (too large for my needs).
They refunded my CC (said keep the kit) and sent me a single round file that met my needs - for free.
https://www.mcmaster.com/drill-bits/decimal-size-equivalent~0-116/

Nobody in my area has quality number bits. Ace, Lowes, Home depot, nobody. Harbor freight has cheap sets. If you predrill with a smaller bit the hole will be about the right size. I do not trust them not to drill oversized in one shot.

I did finally find two. I bought both. I called tradition for two more tendons. When I get them they will be taken to a gun Smith to drill. I broke one in the tendon with the stock on. Yep I Will patch the bigger hole. I will start the sanding while I wait for the new tendons. I have enjoyed this and have learned a lot. Thanks for all help. I found the bits a ACE hardware

I simply used a 1/8" bit (0.125) and length of 1/8" wire.

A tip I was given for drilling tennons is to drill until you hit the tennon, then pull the barrel. The drill will have left a mark on the tennon, and you can drill the tennon without worrying about breaking the bit inside the stock. Then put the barrel back and finish drilling out the stock.

I buy my small drill bits from this place by the 12/pack < Toolsavings, LLC online store >. They are so inexpensive not to. They have HSS, cobalt and other compositions but the small HSS ones are most forgiving for breaking when flexed - cobalt will snap quickly unless you have a ridged set-up. Here is your HSS #32 drill bit that's made in the USA -

Description:#32 BLACK JOBBER DRILL RH USA
GROUND FROM SOLID 118 DEG PT
BLACK SURFACE TREATED HS
ALLEGIANCE MADE IN USA
List Price:$0.83
I’m okay with a cheaper drill meaning high speed steel vice colbalt but for metal drilling I highly recommend 135 degree split point vice a steeper angle drill on the metals used on muzzle loaders. 32 is a smidge under an 1/8
As Davey Boy recommended McMaster will ship immediately and you can pick the quality of bit you require. I like 135 degree split point cobalt
Be careful when you log into the McMaster $ Carr website you might find your self buying more than what you originally intended to purchase 😂

McMaster and MSC both have a wonderful selection of products. We have a great walk in hardware store called McFadden-Dales it's one of those places fun just to walk through.

McMaster and MSC both have a wonderful selection of products. We have a great walk in hardware store called McFadden-Dales it's one of those places fun just to walk through.
I got to admit I have a problem even with grocery shopping I always leave with more then I went there for in the first place and forget about hardware stores!

I got to admit I have a problem even with grocery shopping I always leave with more then I went there for in the first place and forget about hardware stores!
I told the manager at my local Lowes he'd increase sales by at least 50% if he opened a bar inside his store...

ACE is the place…
In my experience Ace has lower quality products than I could even imagine being made today.
Google the thing, try Home Depot or Lowes, maybe better one of the gun tool suppliers like Brownells.
Don't put anything from Ace into your workshop.
Does anyone wish to know how I really feel?

In my experience Ace has lower quality products than I could even imagine being made today.
Google the thing, try Home Depot or Lowes, maybe better one of the gun tool suppliers like Brownells.
Don't put anything from Ace into your workshop.
Does anyone wish to know how I really feel?
You have to put things in perspective Ace and some of these other big box stores are geared towards the homeowner. HomeDepot and loews have graduated to supporting contractors so they have more options. I shop at both And McMasters for the good stuff

If you have enough volume consider opening an account with MSC. They offer all the machining tools of the trade, with imports and USA brands both listed so you can order and spend till you hit your pain threshold. Huge book.is free, or used to be.

If you have enough volume consider opening an account with MSC. They offer all the machining tools of the trade, with imports and USA brands both listed so you can order and spend till you hit your pain threshold. Huge book.is free, or used to be.
MSC and McMaster Carr were my top goto places. Used to do a ton of business with both.
And yep, the sent me a copy of their "big book" every year - whether I wanted it or not.
One thing I like about McMaster Carr, they have just about the best website for search/ordering stuff I've ever used.
And if you use 3D CAD, a lot of their items are already drawn in 3D and ready to download.
Back to the topic at hand, both MSC and McMaster Carr have a great selection of drill bits.

Back