• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

.32 cap and ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schreck5

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought and shot a new-to-me,used and dirty 32 cap and ball pistol this weekend.

I cast some balls with a Lee .311 round-ball mold using soft lead. Balls measured .310 to .311.

The cleaned cylinder chambers measure .315 and of course the ball just drops right in.

Is this ok, or should I expect to see a sliver of lead when I seat the ball?

It has a brass frame and is stamped "Italy" on the bottom of the grip frame.

It sounds like you have a copy of the pocket Remington. You will need to find a larger ball, one that shaves a little lead off when you load it. That said there were some issues with these years ago in that the cylinder bores were much smaller than the bore so they still didn't shoot good with a ball that fit the chamber. I don't know if later ones had this problem or not. Slug your bore and measure your chambers to start.

Ok, the barrel slugs at.311, cylinder bore slugs at .315, ball is .310 to .311.

What size ball should I be shooting? .317 to .320?

If so, where could I find a mold with this odd size?

Thought about buckshot, but not sure of the size of 00 buck

The direct answer to your question is, yes, you should see some lead shearing off of the balls when they enter the chambers.

The chambers in a Uberti Colt 1848 Baby Dragoon and the Colt 1849 pocket revolver, .31 caliber C&B pistol are .319 and Dixie Gunworks recommends using a .321 diameter lead roundball.

Dixie says the chambers in a Pietta? Remington .31 cal. Pocket pistol are .315 diameter and it should use a .321 diameter lead roundball.

Your .311 diameter roundballs are more suitable for a .32 caliber rifle using a patch.

I see. Yes I am using the same ball taht I use for my 32 Crocket. There-in lies the problem. A cap and ball revolver taked a bigger ball. I read that on here somewhere I think, but forgot all about that tidbit of knowledge.

I will see if Dixie or Track of the Wolf has the proper mold.

Dixie Gunworks shows these balls being available for about $8/100 (plus postage).

If they have these available you might want to order 100 of the .321 diameter balls and give them a try.
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_99_311_312&products_id=1362

I say this because I own three C&B pistols that use these and I think in all the years of owning them I probably haven't run 100 balls thru them all yet.

It's not that the guns won't work. It's just that when coupled with the small powder loads the chambers can hold the guns are anything but awesome. In fact, except for a little plinking, they are kinda boreing.

After you shoot up your $8 worth of balls, then you will know if you really want to invest in some bullet molds for it. :hmm:

Last edited by a moderator:
Dixie gun works sells custom made ball molds I got one in .321 for my 31 cal. Bp revolvers.

Lee makes a .319 2 cavity mold. Dixie, Track of the Wolf, Jedediah-Starr and others carry .319, .320, .321, .323 sized balls already made up.

There's a guy on castboolits (Forefather's) that sells .319s for $5.50 per 100 + USPS flat rate box price.

Generally, you want to be .004-.007 over chamber diameter to shave a nice ring and not over stress the loading lever. It's probably easier to load that little gun's cylinder with a mallet or cylinder loading stand.

"There's a guy on castboolits (Forefather's)..."

He's here too: Mouldknocker (spl?).

I've bought from him, and have been well pleased. He's quick too.

Thanks everyone for the help.

I will try the .319 balls first. That puts the ball .004" over-size. I am hoping they work as they should be easier to load with the gun. I do not have a loading press yet.

I have an ASM .31 cal Remington. I use 0 buckshot (.320 dia and about 144 pellets per pound)and it works just fine. I bought 50 pounds cheap enough to use for casting and to shoot in this little revolver. 00 buckshot size is .330 which is a little big.

Buddy C

Buckshot is made of pretty hard lead. Have you found it hard on the rammer of your revolver to seat the hard lead? Or do you remove your cylinder and use a cylinder loader? :hmm:

The buckshot I have is soft lead so there have been no problems with it. I have had it for quite a while and I don't remember the brand.

osage orange said:
I see. Yes I am using the same ball taht I use for my 32 Crocket. There-in lies the problem. A cap and ball revolver taked a bigger ball. I read that on here somewhere I think, but forgot all about that tidbit of knowledge.

I will see if Dixie or Track of the Wolf has the proper mold.

Take a look for Lee moulds at Midway, Midsouth, or TOTW. The Dixie website is an OK reference to see what's made, but their prices are higher than most other on-line retailers & from what I've seen of their shipping prices will pucker yer backside.

It pays to look around and compare price + shipping for the best cost savings.

My first C&B revolver was a 31. I to used buck shot and it was no problem. I remember a 5 pound bag would last a very long time! Geo. T.

Ok guys,
finally got out to shoot the little gun. #10 nipples, #10 caps seated on with a wood dowel, 15 grs. Goex 3F, .319 ball.

Now the fun!! Only 3 shots and all 5 balls were GONE. :doh: Yep, 2 cross-fires. All nipples were absolutely destroyed. Locked up the cylinder with each shot. What am I doing wrong, or is something wrong with the gun. :confused:

Why the dowel? The little remmies should have a loading lever. Sounds like a wells fargo colt. If it is I would say the wedge is just too tight causing the cyl to lock up. As far as the nipples destroyed more info is needed?

:confused: Just re-read your post. You used the dowel to push the caps on the nipples not to load the balls in the cyl. I understand that now. As far as the "cross" fires and destroyed nipples - someone else will have to help you. Some pics might help.

Back