• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

32 cal round ball load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ike

40 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Will a 15 grain BP load give a .319 round ball enough killing power for squirrels and rabbits. I can group this load in one inch at 25 yds. I have searched forums for 32 cal loads but did not find what I needed. I would appreciate your advise on powder loads to clean kills small game. Thanks.

Will a 15 grain BP load give a .319 round ball enough killing power for squirrels and rabbits. I can group this load in one inch at 25 yds. I have searched forums for 32 cal loads but did not find what I needed. I would appreciate your advise on powder loads to clean kills small game. Thanks.
I believe a .319” roundball would be a bit too large for my .32 caliber muzzleloaders, but if it loads and is accurate in yours, nothing to change.

I typically sight my 32s in at 25 yards to be an inch high (think chin hold on a squirrel) using 12 to 15 grains of 4F or 3F Swiss under a patched 1-1/2 buck. Find this load about an inch low at 50 yards. Plenty for well placed shots on small game.

I load my Seneca down to 10 grains and would have no problem killing a squirrel with it. 15 grains is as heavy a charge that I load in it or my Cherokee. I do think that .319 ball may be tight but try it with some .010 or .005 patching and it might work.

I would think a 0.310" ball would be easier to load in the squirrel woods than a very tight fitting 0.319" ball. Typo maybe?

You will be taking more than one shot, hopefully, at those tree rats and the fouling buildup after a couple of shots would make it nearly impossible to load a 0.319" ball, even with no patching.

I generally load 20 grains in my .32. I use a .311" ball and a .024" patch lubed with Hoppes. This load is accurate to at least 25 yards. I have yet to test some shots in the 10 grns to 15 grns range. Anywhere from 20 grns to 30 grns has always done the trick on squirrels as well as being very accurate.

Thanks for your help. Went to the range yesterday. Tried 311 RB with a thicker patch. No grouping The 319 RG with .011 patch groups nice and is not hard to load. the barrel has shallow rifling so need a tight fit. It is not hard to push the load down. I get about a one inch group at 25 yds. but at 50 yds I could not be sure of hitting. Still good at 35 yds. Squirrels be ware. Ike

Latest posts

Back