• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

32 cal. powder charge

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2f could be used, but traditionally was used in calibers larger than .50. I use 3 f in my .32, but would use 2 f if it was all I had. 2 f will produce lower velocity per grain used and probably foul the barrel more. Fouling can be an issue in small calibers.

I use 10 grains for 25 yards or less and when target shooting. I've also upped the charge. One thing to do is try different amounts and see what charge gives the best accuracy. I just use 10 grains because it is accurate enough at short squirrel ranges.

I shoot a .31 with 30 gr 3f (most accurate load) for target matches and 15 gr 3f for squirrels.

10 grains in a .32 shot into a bushy tail will do as much or more damage than a .22lr and probably close to a .22mag. Dont need more unless yer gun wont group with that light a charge. If it takes more shoot more but no need to.

azmntman said:
10 grains in a .32 shot into a bushy tail will do as much or more damage than a .22lr and probably close to a .22mag. Dont need more unless yer gun wont group with that light a charge.

That's what I'm shooting in mine, too. You certainly don't want to hit them anywhere but the head if you plan on eating them, even with only 10 grains.

i`ve gone as low as 7 gr for under 10 yds. the ball won`t even go 70 yards, but will drop a squirrel or rabbit within 10. also very quiet.

I shoot 20gr FFFg Goex in mine. Keeps the ball within an inch of the sights out to 50 yds and has been the most accurate charge.

I have loaded 20 grains of 3fg and 20 grains of 777, in my .32 Crockett, and both loads will make clover leafs at 25 yards, which is about as far as I can see a squirrel's head. When it warms up, (-6 degrees yesterday), I will try 10 grains of 3fg. Keep yer powder dry.......robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am still working up loads for my .32 which is a rice 42 inch barrel.

Not sure what others are shooting other than those who mentioned the Traditions Crocket. I had one of those once and it seemed to need higher loads of Goex than 10 . . 25 3f was about right up to 30.

I have been shooting that load in the Rice thinking that most shots are going to be about 20 yards on a squirrel. I think me eyes hamper my accuracy as much as my load variations, I am sorry to say.

I load 15 grains 3f for squirrels out to 30 yards with my Pedersoli Pennsylvania with 41 1/2 barrel with a 1:48 twist. 25 grains 3F works for longer shots out to 50 yards. My CVA Grey Squirrel rifle with 25" barrel and 1:56 twist likes 20 grains of 3F.

Old Timer 48 said:
Why do most guys use 3F for the main charge & not 2F? Also, what is the average powder charge for a 32 for squirrels?

I use 2F in my .32 flint, also prime with it.
It likes it, shoots well for me that way.
It doesn’t foul the barrel any more for me.
10 to 30 gr

I have lots of powder on hand in 2, 3 and 4F. I use what works for me.

My three .36’s all like 3F
7 to 70 gr
I live in the Great Plains shots can be far.

William Alexander

In my Crockett I always used 30 grains of 3F which was a tack driver load. I killed squirrels with that load and the damage was no more than one would get with a .22LR. I haven't worked up a definitive load for my current flint .32 but it will do just a little over an inch at 50 yards with 40 grains of 3F.

30 gr. of 3f in a 38" douglas barrel. the gun is set up and sighted in for woodchucks out to 100 yards or a little more. I use the same load for squirrels only because I know where it shoots with the sight picture I use. its a bit heavy for squirrel, but its what i'm used to shooting a lot.

Had a 32 CVA squirrel gun. I was fiddling with powder charges and then one day at the range, couldn't find my powder measure. So I scrounged about and found a fired 38 Special case laying. One of those non-reload aluminum ones. Used that. Seemed more accurate than any thing I had tried previously, and stuck with it. Still do not know how many grains of fffg it was.

The way I figure it, a .38 Special cartridge case will throw about 24 grains of black powder.

That would push the little ball out the muzzle at around 1900 fps.

I shoot 20 gr. of 3F in my .32, and have no idea of the MV, but it cracks and shoots well. A 32-20 enhanced. It will definitely kill a squirrel.

Back