• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

.32 cal flintlock groups

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, i have an itch for a .32 cal flintlock for squirrel hunting. The groups I see online are not up to squirrel accuracy.
I am leaning toward a Kibler kit. Can anyone tell me what type of acurracy I can expect after getting it dialed in?
Pics if possiable.

I don't really have pics for myself right now, but Mr. Bridges is an exceptional resource for research into the practical side of Traditional Muzzle Loading, rather than the reenactment or academic facets. Back in 2014, I started reading through Sir Samuel Baker's and Doc White's works, and it got me thinking about atypical, traditional gun design a lot (well, atypical for the US 1750-1850 lol) , then in 2017, Mr. Bridges published this article, amongst others, and I found that I wasn't alone in my thoughts on what makes a good rifle. This article is specifically about small game rifles.

Biggest thing I can say is that ML rifles are not inherently less capable than breechloaders, in practical use. What really hurts ML accuracy is the skill of the person loading it to be consistent.

https://www.traditionalmlhunting.com/ml-small-bore-rifles.html

Last edited:
I have not owned a Kibler product - yet, so I can't speak to their potential.

I do own a pair of Pedersoli Frontiers in .32 caliber - one percussion and one flint.
They happen to have a 48" twist and shoot those tiny patched round balls into 1 1/2" at 50 yards.
My eyes aren't good enough to shoot at small game that far away so I stick to 25 yards or closer. At that distance squirrels have been no problem.

From what I have heard and read I would certainly think a Kibler would match or exceed that performance.

I have a flint Pedersoli Kentucky .32 and I used to have a traditions crockett. Both of them will/would do one hole groups at 25 yards from a bench. I’ve never felt the need to try to shoot them any further.

IMG_20211226_121439_685.jpg

The square is a little under one inch and the left to right is where the sun position was changing. If I'd had the forethought to handle the sun issue ahead of time all 5 would've been in the same spot as the three touching. Group at 25 yards pedersoli Kentucky with .311 Lee ball cotton duck patches with ballistol dry lube. My 50 yard groups suck but it's not the gun it's definitely me and my lack of ability to put that great big pedersoli front sight in the same spot Everytime.... Still under 2" though. I need a target with better contrast than a paper plate with a big black circle on it..... Couldn't tell where the circle started and the sight ended.

I built a .32 flintlock using a Colerain barrel, Pecatonica river A. Verner stock, and large Siler lock. I've not shot it much, but I was getting probably 1 inch groups at 25 yards after only about 35 or 40 shots. I shoot about 20 or 25 grains of 3fg. If my eyes were a few years younger, I could probably best that by at least 1/4 inch. Regardless, even a 1 inch group at 25 yards is good enough for squirrels.

I just built a kibler 32 and am still working on finding what it likes, but think it will shoot. Just a matter of feeding it what it likes and doing your part shooting it. I also have a 32 t/c cherokee and a tradition Crockett that shoot very well with the right load and me doing my part. It's amazing how changing one little thing (lube, patch, charge,or ball size) can affect a rifles groups. Take your time, change one thing at a time, and have fun, and you will find it possible to shoot minute of a squirrel. Oh if like me, you may want to keep a written record, just saying.

Attachments

• 20211229_091405.jpg
    20211229_091405.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 76
I've hunted with a Crockett and fired it a lot at targets. I also have a newer .32 flintlock, okay then not so new, that has yet to hunt but does get fed paper targets. At 25 to 30 yards they make one hole groups, even with my shooting! That's the range I always sight in with .32s. At at least 44 yards groups will still stay well inside a silver dollar. But that's farther than I usually see squirrels much less shoot at them. So depending on your shooting skill and the load selected, a decent .32 can group under a dime at 20-25 yards. And at 50 yds a golf ball will get hit every shot. The .32 is that good.

I don't really have pics for myself right now, but Mr. Bridges is an exceptional resource for research into the practical side of Traditional Muzzle Loading, rather than the reenactment or academic facets. Back in 2014, I started reading through Sir Samuel Baker's and Doc White's works, and it got me thinking about atypical, traditional gun design a lot (well, atypical for the US 1750-1850 lol) , then in 2017, Mr. Bridges published this article, amongst others, and I found that I wasn't alone in my thoughts on what makes a good rifle. This article is specifically about small game rifles.

Biggest thing I can say is that ML rifles are not inherently less capable than breechloaders, in practical use. What really hurts ML accuracy is the skill of the person loading it to be consistent.

Thanks for the link WildRanger. I referenced this article a couple of weeks ago when BigPete was having problems with his TC Seneca. I incorrectly attributed it to Sam Fadala. Now I can give the correct person credit. But I never forgot Mr Bridges point about the relationship of twist rate, powder charge/velocity/barrel length, and desired energy level on target. And everything he said about the little Cherokee is correct. I ended up installing a primitive peep on it to get the best out of it.

Thanks for the link WildRanger. I referenced this article a couple of weeks ago when BigPete was having problems with his TC Seneca. I incorrectly attributed it to Sam Fadala. Now I can give the correct person credit. But I never forgot Mr Bridges point about the relationship of twist rate, powder charge/velocity/barrel length, and desired energy level on target. And everything he said about the little Cherokee is correct. I ended up installing a primitive peep on it to get the best out of it

I built a .32 flintlock using a Colerain barrel, Pecatonica river A. Verner stock, and large Siler lock. I've not shot it much, but I was getting probably 1 inch groups at 25 yards after only about 35 or 40 shots. I shoot about 20 or 25 grains of 3fg. If my eyes were a few years younger, I could probably best that by at least 1/4 inch. Regardless, even a 1 inch group at 25 yards is good enough for squirrels.
Correction. My barrel is a Rice, not a Colerain.

Back