• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.31 cap 'n ball=.32 PRB?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveC

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello, I've searched the forum, and I fully expect that this question has been addressed before, but I just can't find it... Please bear with me.

I'm getting a .32 cal. squirrel rifle as a gift for my wife, and I'd like to include a small cap and ball revolver to go with [it would be her first]. As far as I can tell, the .32 rifle would fire a .310" or a .315" PRB with a .010" patch. Could the same round ball ammunition be used in a .31 cal. Colt reproduction [1849 pocket or similar], or should a .32 cal. ball be used for a tighter fit in the cylinder?

It would be great if she and I could use FFFg powder and the same kind of projectile in both the rifle and pistol, but I'm just not sure about the round ball. Please advise. Thanks! :hatsoff:

I have an Uberti 1849 Pocket and it prefers a ball in .320 diameter. The smaller balls don't give that needed ring of lead when loaded. Another make might take the .315 ball just fine but I'm pretty sure the .310 would be too small for a revolver.

Don

Thanks gents, I'm much obliged.

What about using 0 buck, .320" lead pellets in both? Too big for the caplock rifle, yes? :idunno:

I use 0 buck in both. The rifle is a tight load but accurate. Biggest problem is that Hornady no longer makes 0 size buckshot. :idunno:

I have had several of the .32 cap & ball revolvers, and sadly none were very good internally.
The working parts just plainly wore out, way too soon.
The Uberti Colt 51 Navy last forever, and the Remington model 1858 also do well.
I speak of these two models, because you can get them in .36 cal. low in recoil, and you can identify the balls easily, if you mix them up.
The brass CVA .31 small Rem. model is plain junk.
Pardon my bias.....but I do demand good return for my dollar.
Old Ford

+1 to what Old Ford said. I bought a Pietta .31 Remmy to try to get my daughter interested in shooting w/ me due to low recoil.

I should have got a .36 Navy. The .31 was hard to load, shot like manure (hard to stay on the paper at 20 yards), and seemed to wear quickly.

I later got a Pietta '61 .36 Navy, and it was everything I could wish for. Very, VERY low recoil, grips that fit ANYBODY's hand, and amazing accuracy. 1 - 1/4" groups at 20 yards.

I would strongly urge you to get her a .36 instead of a .31. If you want to go with a small gun, the .36 '62 Police can be had on gunbroker pretty reasonable from time to time. If cost is an issue, get a Pietta or Uberti '51 Navy. I just like the '61, and I own 3 of them. NONE of the 3 (2 Uberti's and one Pietta) hit rediculously high like the other C&Bs I have shot.

I would also recommend 2F powder loaded to allow just enough room to seat a greased felt wad so that it doesn't contact the ball when you set it in the chamber mouth. This allows the ball to self-center when you ram it down on top of the wad.

Alan

I have a Ulberti 49 Colt pocket pistol I like it. It will shoot .320 buckshot but it shoots .323 balls better. I found a easy way to load it. I remove the cylinder charge the cylinder push the wads down to the powder and put the cylinder back on the gun to load the balls with the rammer.

Back