• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

.31 cal 1851 navy need help.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Uberti is the only one making them now and they aren't cheap. The one you are looking at probably isn't the equal of a Uberti but condition and want are the determining factors.

Last edited:
B216C104-F662-4BCD-AEAB-212A7B916769.jpeg

there is a photo.

That is not a pocket navy. First Pocket Navys are not 1851 Navys, 2. Pocket Navys are .36 caliber and not .31. The pocket navy was built on the .31 1849 frame with a rebated cylinder (like the '60 Army) and a .36 barrel. What you have posted a picture of is an 1849 .31 caliber pistol. These are quite common used and not a premium item. I have 2 .31s marked Replica Arms, they were made by Army San Marco and are nothing special but are serviceable. As I remember I gave a friend $85 for one years ago and the other one was maybe $125 2 or 3 years ago but both are in extremely good condition. If it was very good and functions properly I wouldn't go over $125 but that's just me. Actually the reason I got the 2nd. ($125) one was it's a Wells Fargo (no loading lever) with a 6" barrel which is quite rare.

That is not a pocket navy. First Pocket Navys are not 1851 Navys, 2. Pocket Navys are .36 caliber and not .31. The pocket navy was built on the .31 1849 frame with a rebated cylinder (like the '60 Army) and a .36 barrel. What you have posted a picture of is an 1849 .31 caliber pistol. These are quite common used and not a premium item. I have 2 .31s marked Replica Arms, they were made by Army San Marco and are nothing special but are serviceable. As I remember I gave a friend $85 for one years ago and the other one was maybe $125 2 or 3 years ago but both are in extremely good condition. If it was very good and functions properly I wouldn't go over $125 but that's just me. Actually the reason I got the 2nd. ($125) one was it's a Wells Fargo (no loading lever) with a 6" barrel which is quite rare.

125 is what he wants for it.

Got one with a 6" barrel, .310 bore diameter, .320 groove diameter, .310 chambers 🤪...

and a .320 fluted reamer for when I get around to it.

Oh, and a .323 round ball mold too.

Just sold one (ASM .31 cal - ) for $150 - one issue - it was unfired but had been dry fired repeatedly resulting in nipple damage. I found the threads on the early ASM guns were M5.5x1 and all the replicas now are M5.5x.9 - there were no nipples anywhere that would fit that gun.

Just sold one (ASM .31 cal - ) for $150 - one issue - it was unfired but had been dry fired repeatedly resulting in nipple damage. I found the threads on the early ASM guns were M5.5x1 and all the replicas now are M5.5x.9 - there were no nipples anywhere that would fit that gun.

That was one thing I was nervous about is finding parts.

I had one 40 years ago, loaded with 00 buck for round ball, and what a great plinker for tin can shooting at 10 yards or so. Just a fun toy. But for backup ML season, I carry a .50 Belt Pistol. .32 six shooters are still a fun gun, IMO. Tinhorn

I owned this one up until about 18 months ago: 1848 Pocket .31 6" barrel Replica Arms El Paso Texas date code XIX/1963 made by Armi San Marco

ASM folded in 2002 and ASM parts are basically non-existent, although VTI may have a few.

I sold it because it gets lost in my hand as it is so small.

Regards,

Jim

The one that turns my head is the 1862 Colt Pocket Police in .36. But I'd never turn a nice .31 away from my door.

"I owned this one up until about 18 months ago: 1848 Pocket .31 6" barrel Replica Arms El Paso Texas date code XIX/1963 made by Armi San Marco"

Wow! 😲 A long barrel 1848 and a bonus square back trigger guard too, wish I had one. It's a shame they aren't available now. ASM had some interesting revolvers back in the day.

Yes, and ASM usually created historically correct guns, unlike the Pietta revolvers these days. I am not sorry I sold it and the 1851 Navy .36 variants (to include Confederate "copies") fit my hand so much better. I have 9 of them, all Piettas, but Pietta only marketed 3 of them. As a dedicated parts changer, the rest were created using parts from VTI using Pietta 1851 Navies as a base.

Sorry, I am off topic and will cease and desist.

Regards,

Jim

Yes, and ASM usually created historically correct guns, unlike the Pietta revolvers these days. I am not sorry I sold it and the 1851 Navy .36 variants (to include Confederate "copies") fit my hand so much better. I have 9 of them, all Piettas, but Pietta only marketed 3 of them. As a dedicated parts changer, the rest were created using parts from VTI using Pietta 1851 Navies as a base.

Sorry, I am off topic and will cease and desist.

Regards,

Jim
Jim, please create a separate thread about parts changing and keep talking! I too have scrounged and aborted and frankensteined various c&b revolvers, and find the exercise a fascinating subject. I'll share a couple of horror stories if you will! BTW, I once owned a 6' model like the one pictured above, it had curly walnut grips; it was my first c&b and I was 17 when I got it. Two years later, I had to hitch-hike to Georgia from Texas to work on a farm and left the Colt in the care of my father Charlie. Well, he got dry and sold it for some Old Forester and so it was gone forever. But it instilled a love of C&B revolvers that lasts to this day.

Latest posts

Back