• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

30 Year Old Black Powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShootistJack

To Hunt Is To Live
Reaction score
Friends,

In my closet I have found some Goex FFg in its original can, and an additional amount in a brass flask.
It looks normal. I'd say that I bought it around 1990. Is it usable in a flintlock or should it be discarded
for safety reasons?
BlackPowder.png

Friends,

In my closet I have found some Goex FFg in its original can, and an additional amount in a brass flask.
It looks normal. I'd say that I bought it around 1990. Is it usable in a flintlock or should it be discarded
for safety reasons?
View attachment 143243
It is very dangerous! I will come and pick it up for proper disposal. All kidding aside, black powder does not decompose. Use it, and hang the can on the wall for display. Everything is in plastic cans these days. I still have a few cans of Goex that was made in the 70's. I have no qualms of shooting 50 year old powder. The only reason the Goex was set aside is, I switched to Swiss.

Last edited:
It's as good as new. Whenever they find black powder-loaded cannon shells from the Civil War, they still handle them as though they're still explosive. It's as safe as the day it was made. I'm sure many will agree with my post. (As long as it was stored OK, as you appear to have been. )

Black powder or any gun powder , if stored in other than ideal situations, has a green tint or acid smell
it has started to deuterate. Just use it as fast as you can. You will probably get haphazard function of
said powder, Cool , dry , dark place is the ideal place for storage , just try to control temperature swings.
gunny

Friends,

for safety reasons?
View attachment 143243

Black powder has the best shelf life of all powder.
A lot of smokeless powder is good for 100+ years if it has not been stored in a prolonged, high temperature environment. Heat can cause the nitrocellulose to break down some.
Black powder is good for much longer than that. Almost indefinite shelf life.
If there are clumps in it, shake the container well to break them up. A wooden stick breaks them up good too.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back