• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

3 timed shots

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silky921

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Good evening folks. I'm putting on a woods walk for my club, and want to do a 3 shot station that has to be completed in a set amount of time. My goal is to make it doable, but challenging. So some get all 3 shots off, and some don't. All shots will be taken at different targets, but from the same location.

The same shooters seem to win the same prizes, and I want to shake it up a bit. The clock starts when the shooter begins loading. I'm leaning towards either 90 seconds, or two minutes to finish the station. If 3rd shot is not fired in time, they score no points for that target.

What do you all think is a fair amount of time? Please let me know if you have any questions or need clarification on anything.

In the Silhouette matches I participated in, we had 5 minutes for four shots with the rifle loaded. If you don't wipe between shots, you can get all four off in about 3 minutes 30 seconds.

I would think that a three shot time limit of 3 minutes would be pretty challenging if you start with the rifle empty.

Some good friends of mine put on a woodswalk at their place with a similar station at the end. Theirs goes like this;
Starting with a loaded rifle that is not primed you have 120 seconds (not 2 minutes but 120 seconds as this seems to mess with heads more).
First, with rifle in hand, you must stick your hawk in a block.
If you don't stick your hawk on the first throw you keep trying until you do.
Next is a gong at about 30 yards. Shoot at it until you hit it.
Then there is another gong at about 60 yards. Shoot until you hit it.
IF you can do all of this with time left you can throw your knife for a bonus point.
If you fail to complete the station in 120 seconds you get a blackpowder X on your forehead and are "dead".
Great fun. Some finish, some don't.

These folks also have several rattle boxes on their woodswalk including one at a swinging hawk block. The block swings to and from you not sideways and is low enough that it will scrape the hawk handle and knock it loose unless you stick it upside down.
Devious folks. :haha:

3 shots in 3 minutes is plenty of time especially if you start with a loaded gun.

If You want to shake things up have a switch gun raffle....

each member gets 2 like cards and one goes into a hat. and everyone draws a card....Those that draw different cards switch guns....that are already loaded. and you shoot for whatever...
If you draw your own card you get to shoot your own gun.....

There are multiple variations of this....

It adds a random element to the competition.

I like that idea :thumbsup: . However I'm sure some would never let anyone shoot their rifle. Prudes are everywhere. Guess they dont have to participate though :idunno:

Keep it simple. 3 shots in two minutes. Target is a paper plate at 20 yards. Start loaded but not primed. If the shooter gets smart and drops an extra roundball or two down the barrel then award extra points if they get more than 3 hits. Just don't announce that it's OK to double ball. This gives you a chance to see who is listening.

If this is a shoot where you score yourself, you may want to include a target that will separate the Honest from the Cheaters. Paint the end of a log to look like a gong. Instructions will say, must see it swing and must hear it ring.

DO you have to use a patch???...or do the Daniel boone thing~ powder and drop a ball outta your mouth into the rifle, hit the butt on the ground, and shoot..........maybe running also????? :rotf:

marc n tomtom

Did defend a wall at a shoot one time. We had three and three quarters min to shoot at a paper plate at twenty five yards. I got nine shoots, winner got seventeen. This was with smoothies, I was loading from a horn, winner had cartridges.
A shooter with a loading block would have a big advantage over cut at the muzzle or precuts. You would have to cover that in the rules. Fusils would have an advantage here.

Back