• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

3 sided triangle dovetail file

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used my die grinder with a course abrasive wheel to get rid of the file teeth. Im sure an electric table grinder would probably work too.

Linisher and dremel also work.
Haven't tried yet (job for today) but I am about to test a diamond file out for the job.

Was wondering if anyone had tried covering the teeth with epoxy or even masking tape to stop it cutting.

Last edited:
Linisher and dremel also work.
Haven't tried yet (job for today) but I am about to test a diamond file out for the job.

Was wondering if anyone had tried covering the teeth with epoxy or even masking tape to stop it cutting.
You need a very fine edge to cut the corners of the dovetail. Otherwise the end results will look like hell.

That me for the ideas. I’ve got a handheld belt sander and a grinder. I guess I’ll try the belt sander, seems like I’ll get a more even/flatter cut.

I bought an extra long triangular file and broke off the tapered portion and then used my bench grinder to eliminate the teeth on one side.....only used the corner of the grinding wheel thereby producing a hollow ground surface which didn't "rock" when filing. This file has produced 100s of dovetails but have also used a dovetail chisel to rough in the dovetail and to also raise the metal for moldings for the rear sight and for the bbl lug dovetails to provide steel for peening the lugs in tightly. ....Fred

I am lucky to have various pieces of equipment to do this job - 2 bench grinders (6" & 8") & 2 belt sanders (2" & 6"). I use the bench grinder to get the bulk of the teeth off then go to the belt sander to take the rest off and then to a diamond plate to flatten the safe side ;) :thumb:😁

Years ago I did one using a coarse sharpening stone, then polished flat a smooth with a hard Arkansas stone. I have done a few over the years with my bench grinder. Only takes a few minutes, make sure not to draw the temper though. Then smooth with stones. You should end up with the corners razor sharp.

I live with my little 4" dial vernier mike to check dovetail depth, etc. Indispensable tool, IMO. And being an old, conniving codger, I clamp the barrel in a machinist vise with just a smidge of barrel proud of the vise, to prevent too-deep 'whoopsies', if you will. Vice jaws are an OK depth gage for me. Tinhorn

Back