• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

3 long-guns and a pistol part 4

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnlonghunter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
My coworker's husband has inherited these 4 originals as family heirlooms. They're not shooters or gun people at all, so I offered to do a little research for them on what these are. Selfishly, it's just an excuse to spend a little quality time with some original arms that I likely won't ever be in a position to buy. So, I'd just like to check for any additional knowledge I can pass along. Can anyone add to or correct my impressions below so that I can provide my friend an accurate description of what she has?

Flintlock pocket pistol. No maker's mark. .50 cal bore at muzzle.

Flintlock%20pistol%20right%20side_zpsk55cx9sc.jpg

Flintlock%20pistol%20left%20side_zpsuylchxvj.jpg

Flintlock%20pistol%20top%20view_zpsjxcz7cu7.jpg

Looks great! it is a box lock center line flintlock, screw barrel pistol.
[the small bump at the front by muzzle was for the wrench to unscrew and then screw the barrel back on after charging and placing the ball]

It needs the hammers top jaw and new screw that the broken remains are visible in it still. May well be worth restoring unknown maker and all.

Is that trigger bow on backwards or just hideously bent? :hmm:

This would clean up nicely with a bit of work and very little money :thumbsup:

Any suggestions on that front. She asked me to "clean them", but I want to be extremely careful not to devalue them by removing patina, original finish, or causing damage.

As it is not yours I would just wipe it down with oil and give it back saying it can be repaired but maybe not.

I would not even think of working on it with what you have been told. Worried about value they sell in every auction in the big houses look at Amoskeag auction for 6-2 they have many in this one.

Hello

IMHO is ina Belgian pistol, somewhere the punch must be. It is not barrel unscrewable, but had a bayonet under it, and the trigger guard arc allowed to open or close it. The stick, then, was on the left and there are still traces of the pipe in which the end was inserted. Also, at the mouth of the barrel, below, there remain marks of the fixation of the baton, which automatically jumped by means of a spring and was fixed

The book, "Pistols of the World", by Claude Blair ©1968 shows several pistols from the UK and Europe that are somewhat similar to the pistol in the OP.
They date from 1777 thru 1825 and were popular for defensive use. Following 1825, similar pistols using percussion ignition continued to be popular.
Many of the flintlock versions used a sliding safety lever to keep the cock from falling and opening the pan when it was being carried.

Without a famous gun makers mark on the gun to show who built it, it isn't very valuable. Probably worth somewhere in the $175-$300 range as a curio.

Back