• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

3 long-guns and a pistol part 3

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnlonghunter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
My coworker's husband has inherited these 4 originals as family heirlooms. They're not shooters or gun people at all, so I ofered to do a little research for them on what these are. Selfishly, it's just an excuse to spend a little quality time with some original arms that I likely won't ever be in a position to buy. So, I'd just like to check for any additional knowledge I can pass along. Can anyone add to or correct my impressions below so that I can provide my friend an accurate description of what she has?

Springfield Armory Smoothbore carbine. Marked 1819 on lock. .69 cal bore at the muzzle.

Springfield%20carbine%20lock_zpsgkcmkapt.jpg

Springfield%20carbine%20butt_zpspmun0rqi.jpg

Springfield%20carbine%20full%20length_zpsqp3c2tgd.jpg

Springfield%20carbine%20off-side%20lock%20panel_zpsvqkepmix.jpg

This musket I believe started life as a flint lock and later was converted to percussion and cut down to serve as a musketoon or carbine.

Confederate States? I don't know these muskets but you might have a gem there. Seek the advice of an expert

It was a M1816 smoothbore musket made by Lemuel Pomeroy in 1819 on contract. It is not a carbine, it originally had a 42 inch barrel, a full stock with 3 barrel bands and a steel ramrod. After military service, the barrel and stock were shortened for use in civilian life as an inexpensive shotgun.

The "CS" marking is almost certainly a civilian owners initials, it has nothing to do with Confederate States.

expert advice at no charge is one of the things that make this forum great. Thanks

Any pics of the other 3? The one I see is a cut shorter 1816 US musket. Yes I too would say the CS are initials of holder in the day, likely during civil war.

Back