• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

3-D printed snap-caps for ROA

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Following the post and replies to the “do you dry fire your ROA” I decided to draw up and print snap caps for it (with stock Ruger nipples). I forgot that I had successfully done so for the REM 1858 but was unsuccessful making ones that worked for the Dragoon.

Anyway in case anyone is interested, here are the dimensions I used and they seem to be working fine. Just like the old Timex ad…they “take a licking and keep on ticking”.

Height - 5.7mm
O.D. - 7.5mm
I.D. - 4.7mm
Depth of hollow - 4.2mm

Material - Raise3D premium PLA

BTW I find that the Ruger has a very nice trigger. Virtually no creep, nice crisp break but does have significant over travel. I don’t have a trigger pull gauge so I can’t comment on that. I have shot the gun one time (I think I did 30 rounds) but was not concentrating on the quality of the trigger at that time. Dry firing allows for that evaluation better…at least for me.

I’ll be the first to admit that I’m way behind on technological developments. I’ve heard of 3-D printing but I’ll be hornswoggled if I know what it is. I don’t even know how to visualize it. Is “Raise 3D Premium PLA” some kind of plastic? Are snap caps for a percussion revolver just dummy nipples? Can you show any pictures?

Pardon my ignorance. I’m not being sarcastic about any of this. Just hoping to learn something.

Thanks,

Notchy Bob

Bob, I understand. it is somewhat new tech but they do have 3D printers that are inexpensive enough for anyone to own. The one I use is in my home office and was purchased by my employer.

Anyway what you do is draw (or get a file from the internet) a 3D drawing of the part you want to print. The 3D drawing is usually called a "model". Raise 3D is a company that suppllies printers and the material you use to print with, in this case "Premium PLA filament". Yes PLA is a type of plastic. There are many materials available to print with. A printer like this one prints the part from the bottom up. It extrudes a thin string of filiment on a heated plate, the plate moves down and prints another layer on top of the previous one.

We also have resin based printers at work that shine a laser into a vat of liquid resin and it solidifies the resin layer by layer. That type of printer prints from the top down. Very messy and persnickety relative to a filament type printer.

The caps I printed are simple cups that sit on top of the nipples. I seem to get at least 20 hits on the cap until it gets cracked and then I throw them away and print another set. I got an ROA out of my safe yesterday, the safe is in the basement near an outside wall (read a cold area). The first drop of the hammer destroyed the cap and pushed some of the plastic in the hole of the nipple. I had to pick it out with a thin wire. I'm sure there are better materials to print the caps with but PLA was the only type I have at the house at the moment.

So they work fine for a good while but not when the gun and caps are cold!

'additive manufacturing' denotes 3D-printing using powdered metal which is essentially fused (welded) a micron layer at a time over many passes in a vacuum-sealed chamber

my friends have a company manufacturing firearms and components using this method

Bob, I understand. it is somewhat new tech but they do have 3D printers that are inexpensive enough for anyone to own. The one I use is in my home office and was purchased by my employer.

Anyway what you do is draw (or get a file from the internet) a 3D drawing of the part you want to print. The 3D drawing is usually called a "model". Raise 3D is a company that suppllies printers and the material you use to print with, in this case "Premium PLA filament". Yes PLA is a type of plastic. There are many materials available to print with. A printer like this one prints the part from the bottom up. It extrudes a thin string of filiment on a heated plate, the plate moves down and prints another layer on top of the previous one.

We also have resin based printers at work that shine a laser into a vat of liquid resin and it solidifies the resin layer by layer. That type of printer prints from the top down. Very messy and persnickety relative to a filament type printer.

The caps I printed are simple cups that sit on top of the nipples. I seem to get at least 20 hits on the cap until it gets cracked and then I throw them away and print another set. I got an ROA out of my safe yesterday, the safe is in the basement near an outside wall (read a cold area). The first drop of the hammer destroyed the cap and pushed some of the plastic in the hole of the nipple. I had to pick it out with a thin wire. I'm sure there are better materials to print the caps with but PLA was the only type I have at the house at the moment.

So they work fine for a good while but not when the gun and caps are cold!

Thank you, @Old-Duckman for the detailed and considerate response, and @hrt4me for the additional comments. This sounds interesting, and useful.

I just can't keep up with technology!

Notchy Bob

BTW I find that the Ruger has a very nice trigger. Virtually no creep, nice crisp break but does have significant over travel. I don’t have a trigger pull gauge so I can’t comment on that.

I added a small aluminum cylinder behind the trigger spring on my ROA -- sized correctly (I'll admit it took several attempts), it acts as a trigger stop and didn't impact any other functioning. I believe I'd posted about this and all the other modifications I've done to mine on this forum many years ago.

Old No7

Screenshot_20221228_174928_Chrome.jpg

I still don't understand why you need them for a Ruger Old Army. They are "dry fire safe" anyway . . .

Mike

Well, it's easy enough to tell. With hammer down, rock the cylinder side to side and see if the hammer follows. I work on ROA's quite often and do just the opposite. The competition setup makes sure there IS contact with the nipple. Nobody wants to loose a match because of an anemic cap strike.

Mike

Well, it's easy enough to tell. With hammer down, rock the cylinder side to side and see if the hammer follows. I work on ROA's quite often and do just the opposite. The competition setup makes sure there IS contact with the nipple. Nobody wants to loose a match because of an anemic cap strike.

Mike
That test makes sense, thanks Mike.

Back