• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2nd time out using the Lyman's Great Plains Rifle....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FYI...I have a .54 GPR, about thirty years vintage. I recently reinstalled the original adjustable buckhorn site. Like many, I was having fits with it wiggling. I took a piece of copper wire and peened it relatively flat, and installed it under the site (shaped like a U bracket, going down along the sides and bottom). That worked great to eliminate the wiggle and very quickly resulted in great groups. (I also took a fine file to clean the edges of the buckhorn resulting in a much cleaner site picture.

Well, if I didn't feel stupid enough in thinking I "deep sized" my sight, I feel a tad dumber still when lo and behold, it was right in front of me on my workbench. It must have fallen out of my sight parts box while looking for it.

Daveboone, Your suggestion is excellent, particularly since I have some of that thin gauge wire available. It's certainly worth a try.

Still and all, it will be interesting to see whether Lyman relies to my request that I made on their site.

Not only did I find it, but I installed it! Total time, including removal of the primitive sight, took under 5 minutes using fishing line to "bore sight" it (explanation below).

To do this, you'll need a length of fishing line several inches longer than the distance between your front and rear sight: longer is better. A bit of painters tape or something like it is also handy as you'll see. Next, tape the fishing line to the center of the front sight and pull it taut to the center of the rear sight notch. Note the location of the line vis a vis the top bbl. flat and adjust the rear sight until the fishing line is centered on the flat. For a rough elevation estimate, eyeball the taut string, which should also be parallel to the top flat of the bbl. Final adjustments for windage and elevation are made at the range, but this method will certainly get you on paper.

I took my GPR to the range yesterday to test (bench rest) the new sight with .490" RB's (.492" in fact) + .018" pillow ticking patches + 70gr. Goex FFg v. .495" RB's (.497" in fact) + .012" patches ("Sew Classics" wove it, Joann Fabric carries it, but I don't know what it's actually called) + 70gr. Goex FFg. All shooting was at 50 yd.

To my surprise, the newly installed buckhorn sight was right on the money and there was little difference between the two RB diameters on the target, with the slight edge going to the .495" RB + thinner patch. Btw, I'd consider the larger ball more a target load as it was difficult to start and somewhat less so to seat. For woods walks and such, I would use a smaller, nominally .490" RB, but really .488" with the .018" patch. As I used a wet lube (1 water : 6 Ballistol), I didn't wipe between shots.

As your GPR is new how are you finding it on patches. Mine shreds the hell out of them. Have run a 1600 grit emery paper up and down the barrel 30 times on a ramrod but yet to retry it. Most patches I can`t even find. Using Ticking and Olive oil.

As your GPR is new how are you finding it on patches. Mine shreds the hell out of them. Have run a 1600 grit emery paper up and down the barrel 30 times on a ramrod but yet to retry it. Most patches I can`t even find. Using Ticking and Olive oil.
Mine are shredded too. I quit looking for them and keep shooting. I figure once its broken in -- that will stop.

I notice you are running 50gr Shultsn FF , I have been using 80-100 grains home made so might back the powder off a bit as well. I generally shoot hunting loads out of my rifles as that's what they are used for. Apart from the patches and the rear adjustable sight (replaced ) that just didn't work for my eyes am enjoying the GPR.

Update to my above. Took the GPR out and with a new set of filed down Buckhorn rear sights, Filed to look more like a standard rear sight and with the notch opened out with a chainsaw file so front sight is easily seen. .495 round ball and ticking patch sitting on 80gr of home made powder . I couldn`t be more pleased with the result, one raggered hole type stuff at 50yds. Still have no idea what the patches are doing as was shooting from a moored boat over water so the patches were not retrievable.
Still with it shooting accurately patch condition is of little concern to me now. Starting to really like this gun.

Filed the back sight down to a U of about 2/3 depth of a chainsaw files thickness, just a bit over half round. Have done a few over time and usually settle at about that depth, Normally file to half round then take a bit more once I`ve looked through the sights a few times. Opens the rear sight so you can clearly see the front sight with daylight either side. Tends to make it more like a peep sight and your eye centres the front sight.
Found the buckhorn sights in the GPR just horrible.

Filed the back sight down to a U of about 2/3 depth of a chainsaw files thickness, just a bit over half round. Have done a few over time and usually settle at about that depth, Normally file to half round then take a bit more once I`ve looked through the sights a few times. Opens the rear sight so you can clearly see the front sight with daylight either side. Tends to make it more like a peep sight and your eye centres the front sight.
Found the buckhorn sights in the GPR just horrible.
You don't care for the buck horns?? interesting....
I've found out ( for me ) the buckhorns are more forgiving than those "U" shaped sights near the lock.
They are almost to small for this o' Kentucky boy to align the 2 sights up.
Thanks for your thoughts...very interesting.

Back