• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

2nd Model Prarie Carriage

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zulu

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Here is a 1/2 scale 2nd Model Prarie carriage I built for a 1/2 scale Mountain Howitzer barrel.
A field carriage is much more involved than a naval carriage because of the amount of metal work involved. You also have to deal with the wheel issue.
Spoked wheels are hard to make and very time consuming.
In this case, the wheels were purchased. They are 18" tall.
I took a few liberties with the build that devieated from the drawings a little.
Enjoy the pictures.
Zulu

DSC_0213.jpg

DSC_0218.jpg

DSC_0219.jpg

DSC_0220.jpg

DSC_0221.jpg

DSC_0234.jpg

Here are some pictures of the carriage upside down. There is a lot going on under there with the metal work.

DSC_0229.jpg

DSC_0228.jpg

DSC_0227.jpg

DSC_0226.jpg

DSC_0225.jpg

Byer1_zpsec297664.jpg

byer2_zps21075c95.jpg

That cannon is beautiful.

The tools are great. Did you make them? Did you make the metal worm? What welding process do you use?

The only thing I'd change is the brass screw. I'd put a pan head on to hold the chain.

Nice.

PatrickH,
Yes, I made all the tools. I just use a Lincoln stick welder. It does everything I need it to do except real small stuff. For that I use a Lincoln wire welder 110V.
Michael

DSC_0023_zpsa7462e4b.jpg

Cynthialee,
It only has one worm. When mounted properly, the head of the worm is secured under the trail. In the pictures where the barrel is mounted, it is reversed and improperly secured.
Michael

DSC_0232.jpg

DSC_0231.jpg

Beautiful project. Self-built or not, those wheels are great. The whole carriage speaks of dedication and craftmanship of high order.
Projects like this are a testament to our ml avocation preserving history for others.
It is not mine, but just looking at the pics makes me giddy like a kid. :thumbsup: :hatsoff: :patriot:

sc45-70,
The barrel was made by a friend. The carriage was for him.
Zulu

Welcome to the forum Zulu. Glad you made it here from the Civil war forum. Still great pictures- and most importantly great work. :hatsoff:

What can you tell us about the cannon?
How was it made? What material? Looks brass. What is shot out of it? What charge is used?

PatrickH,
I can't tell you much.
It is brass. It was made by the owner. It has a 1 1/4" bore and is 17" long.
I have never seen the barrel except in pictures.
Michael

Here are some progress shots I thought some of you might enjoy.
Michael

DSC_0154.jpg

DSC_0155.jpg

DSC_0157.jpg

DSC_0159.jpg

DSC_0162.jpg

DSC_0186.jpg

DSC_0197.jpg

DSC_0198.jpg

DSC_0201.jpg

DSC_0203.jpg

I have always found that you get results that match exactly the time invested in a project.
Zulu

In marriage issues too! :haha:

I like my flintlocks...they take hundred of hours sometimes....but look and shoot great when done!
(at least to me~i'm still a greenhorn!)

Wow great looking carriage! Very nice work. I am getting ready to build a carriage for my 1/3 scale 10 lb Parrot barrel and have been researching on all the details as much as possible. Thank You for posting all the pictures of your carriage. They will be a big help for me when I start building mine.

Riverrat,
The best thing you can do is invest a few bucks in Antique Ordnance Publishers drawing for a #1 carriage.
You will then have full detail on every item on that carriage.
There is a lot involved in a carriage like that. You get out of it only what you are willing to invest in it.

I am willing to help you any way I can. I would post more pictures but I have been informed that I can't post any more pictures of carriages I have built.
Zulu

Back