• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

2nd model dragoon, San marcos

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdw276

40 Cal.
Reaction score
So the pistol plus the lee mold 450 conical for cap and ball.

3 of the cylinders did not want to keep the conical seated against the powder. Have not had any trouble with the 451 lee roundball in any cylinder.

First I am going to cast up some more 450's and then measure them. Did not do this for first batch. If they are consistent, I will make sure I use conicals of all the same size and if i have the same issue of 2-3 of the cylinders not holding the conical against the powder, I am looking for suggestions. Can a conical be paper wrapped to help keep the conical seated? Or just stick with the roundball as they all give me that lead ring when seated? Other ideas?

Had some issues of the caps staying seated as well, but the were some old remington #11's. They all went bang and I have other brands and or new nipples or pinch em as have dealt with this even on my rifles.

I was shooting 40 grains of Pyro, I know, trying to burn it up as I do these kinds of equipment tests.

Thanks for any ideas or guidance in advance.

Measure all your cylinder mouth diameters. That way you can compare the cylinder to the bullet. Your bullet will have to be sized to fit the largest chamber. Any way, once you know the measurements, you can decide whether you want get a larger diameter bullet, load only the chambers that fit your bullet or ream the chambers to the same diameter and get bullets to fit the reamed chambers.

.451 is really too small and you should try .454 which I believe will fit much better. The best solution to your problem is to have all 6 chambers reamed so that they are the same size.

I have had one bullet style creep in the chambers despite being over sized. Can’t explain what was going on as it wasn’t a max charge and I’ve used heavier charges with other conicals.

Conicals, with their longer bearing surfaces, don’t need to be grossly over sized to the chambers to seat fine. One fellow doesn’t feel they need to be but chamber sized. Myself I believe they ought to be at least 0.001” over sized to better ensure they will seat well and stay put.

Latest posts

Back