• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2nd Generation Colt Percussion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoothshooter

50 Cal.
Reaction score
About two hours ago, I was going through some old papers and cardboard boxes at my Mother's and Stepfather's old farmhouse they moved out of a year ago. It still has a lot of old furniture, and many old cardboard boxes with books and papers that have not seen the light of day for at least 20 years or longer.
In the back bedroom where my recently deceased younger brother had stored some things, I found an old brown cardboard box with 25 year old issues of Muzzleloader magazine, bank statements, etc. that Mom had stuck in the box long ago.
Wedged down inside among the papers and magazines was another odd black cardboard box. I wiggled it around and got it out after a bit. It did not weigh much, and curious as to what it might be, I turned it over to find a Colt logo and the words " Black Powder Series " in gold lettering.
As stated before, the box didn't weigh much, and thinking it must have some old papers, a stapler, or something in it, I got the side flap open with some difficulty.
Imagine my surprise when I lifted up some gray foam rubber packing and found a replica Colt Pocket Navy revolver with a 5 1/2" barrel in about 99% condition and unfired.
I am aware that Colt made and subcontracted to be made reissues of their old line of percussion revolvers in the seventies and eighties, and how some are considered to be authentic Colts and some not, depending on who you talk to.
Regardless, it appears to be a high quality gun that is very well put together. I never knew my brother even had it.
Mom will let me keep it, of course after I tell her about it tomorrow ( I doubt if she even knew it was in the house ).
In spite of not knowing exactly what I have, I enjoyed finding it, and will probably use it for a shooter before long.

It's been a GREAT EVENING!

The Colt 2nd Generation Percussion pistols were made by Colt in Hartford, Ct from 1971 thru 1982.

Although the castings were bought from Uberti in Italy, all of the machine and assembly was done in Hartford so, these are considered to be Colt pistols.

Back in 2003, when my "Third Edition Blue Book of Modern Black Powder Values" was printed, they estimated the value of a unfired, New In Box, blued 1862 Pocket Navy 2nd Gen pistol to be $2050.
If the cylinder has drag marks left by the cylinder stop when someone rotated the cylinder it would be classified as a 98% condition. If these marks or other handling wear is present the gun was worth $1475.

Inflation and demand may have increased the value today.

There was also 3rd Generation "Signature" Colt reproduction pistols made. These were built by a Colt authorized company called "Colt Blackpowder Arms Co." in Brooklyn, N.Y.
They are also considered by many to be "real Colts" because the factory authorized the production and Colt Quality Control was enforced during production.
They usually are not considered as valuable as the 2nd Gen. Colts.

If the revolver has Sam’l Colt engraved on the back strap, you have a Signature Series. That was the last of the black powder line. If the box is black with gold lettering, you have a Second Generation Colt. The Second Generations also came in a couple of other box styles.

Great find !

If the revolver has Sam’l Colt engraved on the back strap, you have a Signature Series. That was the last of the black powder line. If the box is black with gold lettering, you have a Second Generation Colt. The Second Generations also came in a couple of other box styles.

Great find !

No engraving on backstrap, but did come in a black cardboard box with gold lettering. Plastic bag and yellow octagon hang tag in box. Has a bill of sale to someone in California dated 1983.
Serial number 504xx

The Colt 2nd Generation Percussion pistols were made by Colt in Hartford, Ct from 1971 thru 1982.

Although the castings were bought from Uberti in Italy, all of the machine and assembly was done in Hartford so, these are considered to be Colt pistols.

Back in 2003, when my "Third Edition Blue Book of Modern Black Powder Values" was printed, they estimated the value of a unfired, New In Box, blued 1862 Pocket Navy 2nd Gen pistol to be $2050.
If the cylinder has drag marks left by the cylinder stop when someone rotated the cylinder it would be classified as a 98% condition. If these marks or other handling wear is present the gun was worth $1475.

There was also 3rd Generation "Signature" Colt reproduction pistols made. These were built by a Colt authorized company called "Colt Blackpowder Arms Co." in Brooklyn, N.Y.
They are also considered by many to be "real Colts" because the factory authorized the production and Colt Quality Control was enforced during production.

Thanx for the information.
I have saw a couple on internet for sale in the $650 range in new condition in the box last night.
Like a lot of special production run guns ( 1894 Winchester Commemorative Rifles come immediately to mind), they may not have increased in value beyond the rate of inflation.

My fourth edition shows a value of only $500.00 for a mint in the box F series Pocket Navy. Wonder why the drop in value.
Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
My fourth edition shows a value of only $500.00 for a mint in the box F series Pocket Navy. Wonder why the drop in value.
Dan

It may be because us old traditionalist black powder shooters are dying off or getting too old to shoot at an alarming rate.
I have been saying for a long time that in another 15 years it will be hard to GIVE a nice traditional black powder gun away for anything other than a wall-hanger, let alone find anyone with any interest in actually using and learning how to care for one.

I think that the $2050 might be a typo.

OK. I found the error I made.
My eye slipped down a few notches to one of the special engraved models when I looked at the value. :eek: I think the right value will make more sense.

1862 Pocket Navy. NIB = $500. 98% = $350. 95% = $250.

Sorry about that. :(

Latest posts

Back