• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2nd Generation Colt Navy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This whole thing about being Colt, made in the USA or Italy, or used Italian parts, and not being Colt is a bit overblown I think.

Take a stroll through your local car dealership. Ford Mustang ? Transmissions made in Germany sometimes. Engines made someplace else. Assembled in Canada, Mexico or USA. They are all Ford products. The same with Chevrolet and GM. Japanese engines in Chevy trucks sometimes. Computer chips to run the onboard computers…. India or somewhere else.

In today’s world, everything has to start somewhere. Often that “somewhere” is somewhere else. :cool:

I agree! But like I said, have had more "trouble" with 2nd gen cap guns than pretty much any other make. Probably a lot has to do with folks firing /playing with them with ill fitting parts to begin with. They don't wear to the "good side", they get worse and worse. Matter of fact, I just finished an early 2nd gen Walker that was unfired. The guy wanted all coils, action shield and interference pins . . . everything. Turned out to be a very straightforward build and I would say one of the finest Walkers ever to leave the shop! That is a FIRST in 8 yrs!!!

Mike

The comment about 28 minutes is ********. Read the comments in The Bluebook of Gun Values for the truth.

The Second and Third Gens are often priced pretty high, but I don’t think they bring the asking prices very often.
Like the Winchester Commemoratives, they have not appreciated in value as much as the owners who bought them as investments would have liked.
I see them as shooters, and would not pay more than $100 over the price of a new Uberti or Pietta for one. Apparently, I am not alone in that opinion.
And yes, they can be bought for “ shooter “ prices.

I see them as shooters, and would not pay more than $100 over the price of a new Uberti or Pietta for one. Apparently, I am not alone in that opinion.

I just picked up a 2nd gen 1851 made in 1975. I thought I saw some rust in the photos before I purchased it but it turned out just to be some stubborn old oil that took a little time to clean up. The bolt needs some work as well, but overall a nice gun for just about what you predicted, a bit more than a new Uberti. I couldn’t get the seller to budge on the price except to include shipping for $475.

So, @griffiga, did you make that offer?

The Second and Third Gens are often priced pretty high, but I don’t think they bring the asking prices very often.
Like the Winchester Commemoratives, they have not appreciated in value as much as the owners who bought them as investments would have liked.
I’ve sold two at auction in the last couple of years. Both had been fired a lot. Even with the evident use they were in excellent condition and sold for easily 40% over the price an equivalent Uberti or Pietta might have brought. I like them, but I also have several Ubertis I’ll never part with either.

I have four Uberti Colts models up graded by the gentlemen in Georgia and two Piettas tuned by the Outlaw Kid I suppose with their original cost and the upgrade cost I’ve more invested than the cost of a 2nd gen Colts.
Having never owned a 2nd Generation Colt I can’t speak to their effectiveness but my 6 Itilians are as reliable as a cap gun can be.
However the ROA’s and Rogers and Spencer’s are more so with no tuning what so ever, they just don’t have that Colt look or natural balance in the hand.

I stand firmly by my assertions, knowing PERSONALLY the individuals involved by the process. That is by no means intended to demean the quality of the items produced-only an insight as to the actual facts as related to me by the person or persons actually involved in the process. The process itself was much like the ORIGINAL Colt process and procurement, and thus similar to the first generation creations (and by many) considered to be a "continuation" of the originals and not reproductions. The THIRD generation-not so much.
I know some of those people also. In fact I see them at least once a week. Are you in Ct.?

Who does the upgrade work to these guns? I have a couple that could use some help.
Google Goons Gun Works. His turn around time is years though. Check out the THR black powder forum. Look for the OutLawKid. He’s recently relocated to Alaska and may have not started back up. His work rivals Goons, is cheaper and the turn around much quicker. I have four by the former and two by the latter.

Wow Harvy, you just can't help trying to hurt my business ( shows what you're really about )!! To bad you didnt teach me what took me years to learn, and i turn around and offer info freely to folks. I even taught the Kid what he knows so, hardly a rival but hes learning. I've already "fixed" a couple of his . . . What he doesn't do is arbors (loose ones or short ones), coil hand springs, coil trigger springs, main springs, trigger engagement correction, Remingtons, ROAs, colt pockets . .

But hey, he's new . . .

Mike

Last edited:
Wow Harvy, you just can't help trying to hurt my business ( shows what you're really about )!! To bad you didnt teach me what took me years to learn, and i turn around and offer info freely to folks. I even taught the Kid what he knows so, hardly a rival but hes learning. I've already "fixed" a couple of his . . . What he doesn't do is arbors (loose ones or short ones), coil hand springs, coil trigger springs, main springs, trigger engagement correction, Remingtons, ROAs, colt pockets . .

But hey, he's new . . .

Mike
No Mike I’m not trying to hurt your business, I certainly would not inform folks of who’s in the business were that my intention. I’ve never trash talked your quality of work, in fact I’ve praised it, why not? it’s very good. As to the long turn around times, it’s a fact, poor communication with people who have committed items and money, also a fact. One can research on another forum where you are familiar under another user name and find numerous complaints about just those facts.
Ive had four guns set up by you, is that a guy who’s trying to hurt a business. Hey the turn around times are a given, it comes with the understanding once permission is given and monies paid up front. The lack of communication after the given times has expired well……
But when you sat on a gun for three years and didn’t answer any communication about until it was posted in an open forum in answer to another’s complaint….well sir rest easy, I’ll no longer answer inquiries about who to contact by suggesting your web site.
As to mention of the other person in my post. That person took a 30 year old Traditions 1860 with a loose arbor, it actually rattled, timing problems and turned it into one that is every bit as good as the brand new 1860 you did for me back in what 2014 or 15. So if you did indeed teach him you did it well.
By the way, the Walker the 1862 and the Navy are running strong. The Remington pocket you sandbagged for three years. Well I’ve never gotten around to fixing that one.
So Mike Brac……of Goons, apologies all around and I’ll not mention your web site again. With or with out comment.
I will however join in on other posts on another forum under your other username when the occasion rises and it will arise I’m sure.

Harvy, apology accepted but not really needed ( thought we did that a while back). That's why it floored me when i saw your post. One thing to point out to folks is i dont do sights and i dont reattach things like sights/ latches, things without dovetails.
Glad your still getting good service frome the revolvers i did for you. You are right, that is the ultimate compliment! Thank you!

Mike

I have a chance to buy a 2nd Generation Colt Navy .36. Just wondering how much I should offer him. I've attached a couple photos. ThanksView attachment 92434View attachment 92435
Before retirement spent decades buying and selling fresh seafood. Often, when we purchased it we had no precise idea of what our selling price, or purchase price, would be. This was on the east coast with large wholesale markets in Boston, NYC, Philadelphia and, to a lesser extent, Baltimore. Fresh fish prices fluctuated with weather, season, quality, availability, regulations and Lord only knew what all,.
We learned a lot about negotiation. Dickering over dollars. One rule that usually held true was that the first party to mention a $number lost.

Harvy, apology accepted but not really needed ( thought we did that a while back). That's why it floored me when i saw your post. One thing to point out to folks is i dont do sights and i dont reattach things like sights/ latches, things without dovetails.
Glad your still getting good service frome the revolvers i did for you. You are right, that is the ultimate compliment! Thank you!

Mike
Ya Mike but your references to character are BS. You f…d and been trying to cover it. You’ll recall, if you wish to set the record straight that I did not send you the piece unannounced. I spoke with you at length and you said send it in, then proceeded to ignore it for the better part of three years. Return in its original shipping package unopened I might add. I wasn’t apologizing to you as an individual but to the forum for airing dirty laundry.
I might rethink answering inquiries about black powder revolver tuning from forum members in the future. Honestly of course with pertinent information as I’ve experienced it.
And I’ll strive to stay with in forum rules of decorum in doing so. Sort of a Yelp service as it were.

Last edited:
Grapes that sour?
Actually no. I wouldn’t mind owning one or two. But I generally don’t buy what I won’t shoot. The prices for the 2nd gen Colts have risen to the point that paying that sort of monies for a gun that is in reality no better than a Pietta or Uberti , indeed most likely made by one of them, just doesn’t make sense as a shooter.
And it’s really, IMO, not about the price, I’ve a Civil War carbine that I paid a dear price for and I shoot it regularly. But it’a the only thing there is so if I want to shoot one it’s what I must buy , another similar carbine is available as a reproduction so I’d opt for that when I can find one. See my post in WTB.

Latest posts

Back